Should I drip acclimate shrimp when moving between two tanks I own? - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By en7jos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Should I drip acclimate shrimp when moving between two tanks I own?

Not too sure about this one - I plan to move my vampire shrimp from a smaller aquarium to a larger one in the coming days; the water parameters between the two are the same for pH, GH, kh, nitrates etc - this makes me think that I can probably pop them straight in as there shouldn't be enough difference for them to be stressed by anything other than the change in scenery, but I've also been growing them for some time so am concerned about losing any.

Can anyone confirm that my plan to pop them straight in is safe, or should I still drop acclimate anyway just in case? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 11:20 AM
Planted Member

I would float them in a bag just to make sure they are temperature acclimatised before dumping them in. Drip acclimatisation would not be required in this case.

Unless the temperature is controlled different tanks even in the same premises may have slightly varying temp based on water volume, ventilation etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the advice, that seems the most sensible way to approach this!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 04:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You didn't mention the TDS readings between the two tanks. Are they also identical? TDS, pH and temp would be the 3 main parameters I would be looking at.

If so, maybe a long drip acclimation is not needed. But would a short drip acclimation be a big hassle just as a precaution? If not, then I would personally err on the side of caution to some extent.
Blue Ridge Reef and frogger17 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, TDS are the same as is the temperature in both aquariums. The temperature is actually part of the reason I am concerned about drip acclimating as my room temperature is quite cold (18c) whereas both aquariums are at 26c; I don't think drip acclimation will maintain the temperature in the acclimation bowl at a sufficiently warm level for long enough... I guess I can float the bowl in the larger aquarium and do it that way so the temp is maintained, just thinking about it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2020, 04:59 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Makes sense. If all your parameters inc TDS and temp are well matched then going straight from one tank to the next might well be the least stressfull.

Perhaps start with a few first as a final check before switching them all?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode