Salty Shrimp gh - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By beanbag
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2020, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
latchdan's Avatar
 
PTrader: (17/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Miguel, Ca
Posts: 1,320
I'm setting up a CRS tank and I got a few questions. I added 2.35g ss to 5 gallons water (ro and di) and I'm getting 5dgh but my tds is 94. I've recalibrated my tds with the 342 solution and bought a new meter same numbers. I was expecting 130 from the videos I've been watching. Is 5dgh okay or is more better
latchdan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2020, 10:14 PM
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2018
Location: California
Posts: 198
430mg per gallon gives me about 5 GH and TDS 100. 5 GH is a good value.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
beanbag is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2020, 10:26 PM
snails are your friend
 
Blue Ridge Reef's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 3,010
Agree, aim for 5-7 and you're good. Hard to say if your TDS meters are off in the same direction or not (hobby grade units are almost always off except when you first calibrate) but they provide a framework to go from. If dosing the same volume of water every time, you can dial it in pretty close with your meter from here on out. I bother to test GH 2-4x a year at most these days. SS and Dennerle make very consistent batches in my experience.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
Blue Ridge Reef is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2020, 10:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Zoidburg's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Nevada
Posts: 3,244
I'd say to just leave it and call it good... TDS may rise on it's own in the tank. If you are really worried, there is a "TDS UP" product made for shrimp... have heard of a few people using it... don't know if it's made a difference or not.
Zoidburg is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2020, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
latchdan's Avatar
 
PTrader: (17/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Miguel, Ca
Posts: 1,320
I've been adding ammonia it's 112 now.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Agree, aim for 5-7 and you're good. Hard to say if your TDS meters are off in the same direction or not (hobby grade units are almost always off except when you first calibrate) but they provide a framework to go from. If dosing the same volume of water every time, you can dial it in pretty close with your meter from here on out. I bother to test GH 2-4x a year at most these days. SS and Dennerle make very consistent batches in my experience.
Yeah I did calibrate the meter and the new meter is reading the same within 3ppm. It's a new tank and my first dive into CRS so I'm testing gh to get it dialed.

On another note I'm using Brightwell Aquatics FlorinVolcanit Rio Escuro substrate and my pH is 7 still. How long to affect pH? Kh is 0. Using prolly 7 to 8lbs and 7.5gallons of water.
latchdan is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2020, 03:10 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
en7jos's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Singapore
Posts: 361
I add 0.15g of SS GH+ per litre of RO to give me 6 dGH and a TDS of about ~130ppm (and 1.75g per litre to give 7 dGH and ~150 TDS).
So your numbers look about right to me!

I would avoid paying too much attention to any TDS numbers anyone else tells you (in online videos or otherwise) since TDS readings can vary widely between meters and many people have never calibrated theirs.

Worth checking with the supplier of your CRS to see what they keep / breed them at and aim to match that, but 5 GH is pretty common. My local breeder has them in 3GH/0KH water with a TDs of only 66 which I was quite surprised at! Good to match whatever the shrimp you get are used to for easier acclimation.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
en7jos is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2020, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
latchdan's Avatar
 
PTrader: (17/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Miguel, Ca
Posts: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by en7jos View Post
I add 0.15g of SS GH+ per litre of RO to give me 6 dGH and a TDS of about ~130ppm (and 1.75g per litre to give 7 dGH and ~150 TDS).
So your numbers look about right to me!

I would avoid paying too much attention to any TDS numbers anyone else tells you (in online videos or otherwise) since TDS readings can vary widely between meters and many people have never calibrated theirs.

Worth checking with the supplier of your CRS to see what they keep / breed them at and aim to match that, but 5 GH is pretty common. My local breeder has them in 3GH/0KH water with a TDs of only 66 which I was quite surprised at! Good to match whatever the shrimp you get are used to for easier acclimation.
Ok
Breeder said they at 4 to 5 dgh and 100 to 140 tds
latchdan is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2020, 02:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
en7jos's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Singapore
Posts: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by latchdan View Post
Breeder said they at 4 to 5 dgh and 100 to 140 tds
I would aim for 5 dGH then. SS GH+ gives you a TDS of about 21 ppm per dH, so 5 dGH should give you a TDS of just over 100 ppm and in the range your breeder mentioned. It's ok (even good) that your new tank is currently at the lower end of the range; the TDS may gradually rise as your tank ages and there's more other "total dissolved stuff" in the water.

Enjoy your new shrimp! =}


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
en7jos is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome