Co2 and shrimp - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Co2 and shrimp

I have a fluval flora tank that came with a 45g co2 cart setup. I have the bubbles turned down to about 10 a minute which is lower than it suggests and wonder if the co2 will negatively impact shrimp that are arriving soon. The parameters are
Ph - 6.6
Tds - 135
Kh - 1-2
Gh - 3-4

Oddly, the tap water ph and my tanks ph are the same when I was under the impression that added co2 would lower the ph by up to a point. So far no change. Its been weeks and I figure if the co2 isn't bombing the ph than perhaps the shrimp won't mind. I'd like to know before they arrive if its a clear nono.

I will have bloody Mary and aura blues. There is also one tiny bushy nose in there now as the lone resident.

Thanks for the advice. I welcome all of it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2020, 05:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

The GH is too low and ideally should be within the 6-8 GH range.... *unless* they are coming from a tank with lower GH and have been thriving.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2020, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I think my tap water is close enough that I can avoid a total R.O system. So if that is the case, can you suggest a great gh additive that I can buy? I will just tweak it a little during water changes until its where I want it. They don't arrive till Wednesday and I can have it from Amazon well before that. Is brightwell reputable? I saw their stuff available but am open to suggestions

Thanks.

Oh, and whats the verdict on co2 with shrimp? Sure? Be careful? I wouldn't? Or absolutely not? Hehe. Like I said, its a 15g and I'm only putting about 10 bubbles a minute in. It has a aqua clear on it but the water level is high enough that I don't think its gassing off much.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 10-19-2020 at 03:41 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2020, 05:28 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I keep them in two high tech tanks with good results, but I can't fertilize and water change like I would if they were fish tanks. The CO2 itself is no issue. You can drop the pH a full point every morning and back every evening and they don't mind at all.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2020, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yea, I was always under the impression that carbonic acid doesn't change the hardness unlike other acid buffers will. I will still take it carefully though.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2020, 11:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Salty Shrimp is a popular brand. I have a big tub of it, GH and KH, but no longer use it since switching substrates... which also required switching minerals! Now using Aqualex. There are other brands out there. I would have to recommend sticking with a shrimp specific remineralizer, although I have heard good things of, I think, Nutrafin African Cichlid Remineralizer used for shrimp as well.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2020, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I got the salty shrimp gh only remineralizer. Figure i won't want the added kh
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:56 PM
Algae Grower

You're good with that. Co2 shouldn't cause any problems as long as the PH drop isn't too big. Look at a Kh-Ph-Co2 chart and make sure you aren't overdoing the Co2 and make sure that you keep the Ph in the range acceptable for your shrimp and you shouldn't have any issues at all!

Are you using a buffering substrate??

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode