4Likes
  • 1 Post By Crazyjayb
  • 2 Post By en7jos
  • 1 Post By Blue Ridge Reef

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2020, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
No Planaria or Panacur-C for aqua soil tanks?

Well, I've got white planaria in at least 3 of my shrimp tanks. One 45 gallon with EC and both of my 10 gallon Dennerle tanks with ADA substrate. Pretty sure they came in on plants I bought for the 45 and I managed to get them in the other two via carelessness. I had an outbreak a year or three back and rid them with Panacur-C but it wiped out a ton of snails which really set the tank back. 400 or so decaying snails will do that. I'd like to avoid repeating this experience but I'm ready to never see a flatworm again as long as I keep aquariums. Much like duckweed and Java moss, I've been manually removing every one I see but unlike those plants, there's no endgame with flatworms. I use a glass trap as well, but I realize it's never going to completely rid my tanks of them. So it's time for the nuclear option.

I have Panacur-C on hand and an order of No-Planaria herbal extract coming Wednesday. I'm not sure however which one I should use. If all else is equal, I'd use the one easier on snails. One of my worries is that the soil will absorb some of either making the tank less than ideal for many months to come. I'm preparing for both the medicating and removal of said medication in advance. In addition to the water changes I'll have to do, I just picked up a 2 liter jar of Purigen (WOW that stuff is expensive!) and a 4 liter jar of activated carbon. Before treatment I'll remove all chemical media from filters, etc. but my big concern is getting these tanks back to normal as quickly as possible. If anyone has experience using these on aqua soils in particular, I'd love to hear your feedback. Thanks, and I'll document how it goes here whichever route I wind up going.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2020, 05:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I always recommend making sure it's planaria and not rhabdocoela.

That said, I'm sure you know what it is, so I would suggest No Planaria.... however, I've never dealt with planaria, so never treated any of my tanks with it.

I do know that it can take 6-9 months before a tank treated with Fenbendazole may be fancy snail safe again.... not sure of No Planaria.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2020, 03:37 PM
Algae Grower

i dont have fancy snails, just some tiny ramshorns that came on some plants but i've dosed no planaria and still have snails. i would run with that based on it being biodegrading so no extra or large water changes needed which shrimp tend not deal well with and if it ends in the soil it will still get broken down

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2020, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

I'm kind of tempted to treat one tank with each, just because I can't seem to find a solid answer. That would at least provide some info for anyone else in this predicament, and I can't imagine it doesn't come up from time to time. Amazon reviews seem to indicate that a 50% dose of No-Planaria is effective, which sounds even better if that actually works. I've got a few days to think about it while I remove snails and await the No-Planaria.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2020, 12:40 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Fenbendazole has always worked for me and has resulted in minimal deaths for fancy snails and no deaths for ramshorn/trash snails
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

At least I can grow Algae
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2020, 01:06 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Morning @Blue Ridge Reef,

I only have experience with "No Planaria" as fenbendazole is considered a controlled drug here in SG and hence impossible to get!

I have used "No Planaria" a couple of times now in shrimp tanks with Amazonia soil to get rid of hydra (thankfully not planaria.... yet!). I found that the "No Planaria" had zero noticeable effect on any of my shrimp, small chilli rasbora fish, Christmas moss, salvinia, or the many Malaysian trumpet snails in the tank. The first time I treated, I removed all the MTS I could first. However after treating, I noticed that the tank still had many many many tiny baby MTS in it. I assumed they were doomed (but I had parents safe so not too big issue), but actually all the baby snails were just fine, both during treatment and ever since. No noticeable effects in the tank during or anytime after treatment. I know MTS are at the more robust end of the snail lineup, but I figure 1-2mm size babies would still have been sensitive to anything 'toxic' to snails in general.

Anyway, my full write-up of my "No Planaria" vs hydra experience is here if it helps:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8...cess-last.html

I found that a single dose was enough to kill hydra (the day 2 50% dose and day 3 25% dose were not needed). I used the full recommended day 1 dose in my RCS tank and hydra fell from the glass within an hour, and I tried a lower 70% dose in my CRS tank and found that they hydra still died, but it took 10-12 hours. So I think the recommended dose is about on the mark; it certainly doesn't seem to be excessive, at least when it comes to treating hydra, as effectiveness dropped noticeably from 100 to 70% dose. Maybe 50% dose might still work too, but I think I'll use a single 100% recommended (day 1) dose in the future if needed as this seemed well tolerated by everyone.

If you are able to treat separate tanks with Panancur and "No Planaria" and compare, then that would be great to know for future reference! Interested to know how you get on anyway. My LFS seems to have a perpetual planaria issue so I fear it is only time before I'm in the same predicament.

Regards, James =]
Blue Ridge Reef and Zoidburg like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2020, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyjayb View Post
Fenbendazole has always worked for me and has resulted in minimal deaths for fancy snails and no deaths for ramshorn/trash snails
I used it a while back and lost a ton of trumpets, but pond snails and (to memory) ramshorns survived. But the mass of dead MTS was quite a bit, there were a lot of those. I have all three in these tanks and am pulling them into a betta bowl as I see them over the next few days as I await the No-P. Unless I get some persuasive information between now and Wednesday, I'll treat one tank with each and compare. It will be interesting to see either of these meds prove to be harder on some types of snails than others also.
en7jos likes this.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2020, 02:50 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Looking forward to hearing your findings!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode