Shrimp suggestion for my Tap Water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-30-2020, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Shrimp suggestion for my Tap Water

Hi Everyone,

I have recently moved and the water parameters for my tank have changed with my tap water source as a result. I have kept blue bolt shrimp pre-move and the shrimp were doing quite well, multiplying. I think I started with 20 shrimp, but I ended up with closer to 80 adults in a community tank by the time I moved. Unfortunately, the new water doesn't seem to agree with the bolts. Some of the shrimp are dying off at a slow but consistent pace. I have noticed new berried females, which is encouraging, but there are definitely mounting deaths. I am pretty sure this is a result of the new water as the tank is otherwise the same as pre-move.

I am now considering a different shrimp variety that may be better suited to the new tap water. I live in an apartment, and I don't want to go down the route of ro/di units or buying water for the tank, which is 50 gallon with sump. Current water parameters after a few weeks of settling are as follows.

Using API Test Kits

3dkh

5dgh

TDS of 210 (right out of the tap, rising to 250 through the week in tank before water change)

74-76 degrees Fahrenheit

The tank is cycled, my first suspicion with the shrimp die off was cycling from moving the sump media. However, after multiple tests at different times over the last two weeks I still get 0 ammonia and nitrite. My nitrate right after a water change is 10 and gets to 20 right before the next water change.

The substrate is ADA amazonia, but it is depleted for sure. It is at least 3 years old.

For reference, my water pre-move was

0-1dkh

4dgh

TDS of 60 (right out of the tap, I did add a scoop of remineralizer to get the tds to 130 right after a water change. TDS would rise to 180 before the next water change)

temperature same as above.

More background on the tank. It is a 24 by 24 by 20 inch, with a 18 gallon sump. It is planted. I do dose about half of EI, with a weekly water change of 50%. This is the same routine I had before moving. The other inhabitants of the tank are some dwarf pencilfish, amano shrimp, and snails (ramshorn and malaysian).

Given my new water, I am thinking of getting tangerine tigers or some neocaridinia variety. At this point, I am not sure if any blue bolts will pull through in the end. I am discouraged by the slow but consistent deaths (usually find one casualty a day or every other day), but I am slightly hopeful in light of the newly berried females appearing. Any recommendations on new shrimp varieties welcomed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200929_200456.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	457.3 KB
ID:	903555  

My Tank Journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-30-2020, 01:16 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Id go with what you said. Nice tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 08:23 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
That's a shame. Is getting RO water and remineralizing to a lower TDS not an option? If not, I definitely understand. I have never lived anywhere that Caridina sp. were an option using tap water due to TDS being too high and lugging RO was not something I was willing to do. I kept several varieties of Neos instead and enjoyed it. It's just a shame to lose an established colony.

Good Luck and Nice Tank.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 08:43 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My Tangerine Tigers and Neos are in 0kH 6gH and ~205 TDS right now, and are doing well. I'd say you would be fine.

Having said that, I will say that the RO Buddy is cheap and very easy to use. I just prefer it to taking chances with whatever the water company is doing (our tap is about 65 TDS).

Matthew
38G: AquaClear70: Planted, 1 Angel, 6 Tetras, 1 Platy, 1 Bristlenose Pleco.
5G Fluval Spec V: Built-in filter, Heavily planted, RCS and Tangerine Tiger Shrimp

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode