The Planted Tank Forum banner

Shrimp out of water

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Raith 
#1 ·
Hello, I am new to the forum, so hello! I have had neocaridinas for about a year now and usually all goes well. However, since I have stirred up some substrate planting a new plant and added a bit of JBL ProFlora, they have started climbing out of the water and here and there I am finding dead shrimp (looks like failed molts). I have already done a daily 20% water change (with tap water and aquasafe and also dissolved some shrimp minerals), I run an airstone and have decreased co2 output. Water parameters are all fine according to the test and temperature is 25 Celsius.

This has been going on for 4 days already and am desperate to get my shrimpos back in the water. What can I do?! As you see a good number are berried.

Apologies if I missed any forum guidelines. I did read others posts, but the suggestions given there did not work out for me...

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi, welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear that you are having troubles with your shrimp. I have a few questions.

First, what is your substrate, it looks like sand? If so, is it a play sand or an aquarium sand? If you move plants around it may be releasing gasses created by anaerobic bacteria. Play sand has a tendency to compact and this can be a perfect place for anaerobic conditions. If this is the case, frequent water changes are your best bet to get control of the system.

You mention adding the JBL ProFlora, what is this? A google search brings up a bunch of CO2 equipment. I would stop the CO2 immediately and try to create large surface agitation.

Shrimp will climb to the waterline when there is something wrong with the water quality.

I hope this helps!

-AM

#3 ·
Hi atm424 and many thanks for the fast reaction. I am using JBL Sansibar River as the sand (so for aquarium) and the ProFlora is Aquabasis Plus i recently added around the roots of my newly planted plant. This created very cloudy water and caused my sponge filter to stop (meaning i replaced the filter with a new one, but added a sponge from the old one and used Dennerle FB7 Nano Bacto Elixier.

I will stop the CO2 fully, increase surface agitation and do a 10% water change in the morning and evenings. I will keep you posted on any progress! Luckily my other tank is not affected as my Green Jades arrived today.

Kind regards,

Seikent2

#4 ·
I have to agree with atm424 on this.... when I experienced this behavior, my shrimp were poisoned by the air. In at least one of those cases, a neighbor had bug bombed their apartment.

If you can move your shrimp out of the tank for now into another one, or even a container, I would recommend doing this and just doing large water changes on their current tank. Even if you can't move them, I would still recommend large water changes.

Could be CO2 related, anaerobic bacteria related, or even fertilizer or bacteria related. Something that's been added to the tank if it's not an "air pollutant". (only affecting one tank)

#6 ·
It's good to hear that you can relocate some of them! Do you use a drop checker with your CO2 in the tank? If not, I would highly recommend one. It is a good visual aid to monitor something that is potentially deadly to the fauna and can get away from you without any other warning.

-AM

#8 ·
Small update: The half that I moved to another tank for the time being is quite okay, but not ideal. The half that remained is still displaying the same behaviour despite 4 20% water changes throughout the day. CO2 is disabled, plenty of agitation on the surface.

I have a CO2 drop checker, but if i run or don't run CO2, it has always been the same colour (green) hence for some reason I am not competent enough to use it. I will try again with fresh liquid. I will inform you of the outcome and if i find something that works. Many thanks for all the tips and support!

PS. I will take some pictures of my other tank which is fine and the green jades have settled in and put it in a separate topic.

#9 ·
Okay, introducing carbon filters and frequent water changes have gotten my shrimp back in the tank. I have lost about 10 shrimp, some were berried. But the colony may continue! Many thanks for the advice and help! Also the half of the colony that went to a back up tank has been reintroduced successfully

I think, looking back, is that I created a storm by introducing more CO2 for the plants and on top of that stirred up the substrate by planting new plants. Lesson learned for next te to take more care.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.