• 3 Post By Zoidburg
  • 3 Post By Blue Ridge Reef

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2020, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
caradina tank set up

Hi guys,

I was wondering why I need a buffered substrate? why can't i just use sand?

I have RO filter coming and salty shrimp gh+ coming as the buffer to bring the gh up.

but, why does everyone say use active substrate? what does it do that is different from just having regular sand?

Wouldn't it make more sense to not use a substrate that doesn't do anything? so you can maintain everything as is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 12:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex35 View Post
Hi guys,

I was wondering why I need a buffered substrate? why can't i just use sand?

I have RO filter coming and salty shrimp gh+ coming as the buffer to bring the gh up.

but, why does everyone say use active substrate? what does it do that is different from just having regular sand?

Wouldn't it make more sense to not use a substrate that doesn't do anything? so you can maintain everything as is?
The reason is exactly in its name. It buffers. Your rodi water has no buffers. Adding salty shrimp gh+ only adds gh. This doesn't buffer and since you don't have kh in the water you'll get no buffering. Your pH will be all over the place. The substrate will buffer to 6 or below depending on the substrate you choose.

If you just want to use sand you'd be better off with neos and then using salty shrimp gh/kh+.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Blue Ridge Reef and Zoidburg like this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 04:02 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex35 View Post
But for caridina (that prefer lower pH) you *do* want the substrate to do something - you want it to lower the pH down to somewhere in the 5.5 - 6.5 i'sh range.

In other tanks, you add KH to stabilise the pH and stop it swinging around (bad for livestock). But adding KH tends to increase pH, which is not what you want for this type of shrimp. Active substrate on the other hand (e.g. Amazonia and the like) do two things:
1) reduce the pH to typically less than 6
2) holds the pH stable at this range without the need for KH in the water

If you want sand substrate, then an alternative is to combine this with an under-gravel filter box filled with active soil and driven by an air pump or power head. This is a common setup for shrimp keepers in Asia. Inert substrate (often volcanic lava rock) on the tank bottom, and a pot of active soil in the back with an air lift to draw water through it.

Checkout this video at about 7 mins in and you'll hopefully see what I mean:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 07:30 AM
Planted Member

Great info and very useful video linked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

External links aren't permitted - please stop adding the link when we remove it
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 07:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

It depends on the type of Caridina you want and what parameters they were potentially raised in.

If we're talking tigers, then the majority of them will be fine on sand with RO water and GH/KH minerals.

If we're talking low end crystals, potentially the same.

However, if we're talking about mischlings, tibees, high end crystals, taitibees, etc.... then yes, you want an active substrate that lowers the pH of the water and keeps it stable with the use of tannins released from the substrate. Many of these shrimp might live, but not thrive, at higher pH levels. There may be minimal to no breeding at higher pH. If there are any offspring, they might not survive to adult-hood.
Blue Ridge Reef, Econde and en7jos like this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 03:43 PM
Algae Grower

I should mention that many years ago, I had orange eye blue tigers, and in a place with very hard water, they bred like rabbits. (with regular black gravel)
I did not have other kinds of tigers, so can't talk about them.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 04:16 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I can only give my own experiences but aqua soils have been a game-changer for me. I kept CRS and mischlings alive and got an odd baby when I used RO and inert substrate, but they never took off. As soon as I set my first tank up using buffering soil, they bred like Neos. KH was around 0 in both situations, but one clearly created more favorable conditions for the shrimp.

Having said that, I can't get a good colony of orange eye blue tigers going for love or money.
Econde, Zoidburg and IKeepShrimp like this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode