"Cultural differences" between neo shrimp varieties - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
"Cultural differences" between neo shrimp varieties

Has anyone else noticed that different varieties (i.e. colours) of neo shrimp have quite different eating habits?

For example,
  • My RCS like to forage amongst the moss, but my Goldenbacks in the same tank can be found hanging upside down below the floating salvinia.
  • The Sunkist in another tank spend all day on the cholla wood, whereas shrimp in other tanks aren't bothered by it.
  • My Goldenbacks love courgette, but the Sunkist completely ignore it.
  • RCS and Goldenbacks race to grab a frozen blooodworm, many Sunkist just can't be tempted.

Each colour of shrimp I have seems to have quite particular tastes regarding what and where they want to eat, which I thought was odd given that they are all neo's. Perhaps it's what they were brought up on as baby shrimp; it will be interesting to see whether shrimplets born in my tanks behave the same or follow their parents preferences.

I thought this interesting anyway, and wondered if anyone else had noticed anything similar.

Happy shrimp keeping,
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 03:52 PM
Algae Grower

I had cherries, gold back and snowballs- many years ago

they did not behave the same at all from what I remember.
cherries are a different subspecies from gold back actually
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 04:42 PM
Algae Grower

I happy I'm not the only one noticing this. it seems my reds will spend more time in moss then anywhere else to graze but my golden backs like to spend their time hoarding on the top of the driftwood I put in there near the floating plants

Bump: I happy I'm not the only one noticing this. it seems my reds will spend more time in moss then anywhere else to graze but my golden backs like to spend their time hoarding on the top of the driftwood I put in there near the floating plants

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Seems not just my little critters that have 'family traits' then between the varieties. Interesting! Wonder if it's a learned behaviour from what was in the tanks they were bred in, or whether perhaps different colours feel safer against different backgrounds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aupti View Post
cherries are a different subspecies from gold back actually
Really, they're not all just varieties of Neocaridina Davidi?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

There are two recognized species of Neocaridina frequently bred within captivity. That said it is possible that there are more types... that is, perhaps the blues came from a different species as the reds... and the yellows came from a different species as well.

For all intents and purposes, all Neocaridina within captivity are considered to be N. davidi, except for Snowball, Blueberry/Blue Pearl and an Amber (not really seen) which are N. palmata.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode