How do I help my baby shrimp survive? (Community Tank) - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How do I help my baby shrimp survive? (Community Tank)

Hi there!
I set up a 165 litre (43.6 gallon) community tank in late august with cherry shrimp, ember tetras and rummynose tetras and I didn't really care about breeding any of them or anything. However, today I found two of my cherry shrimp carrying eggs and even though I didn't initially care I'm really excited and want to give them the best chance I can. Is there anything I can do to give them a better chance at survival?

(I've never kept fish or shrimp before this btw)

Photo of my tank here : )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 12:53 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Chances are most won't make it but to provide the best chances make sure you provide plenty of cover for them as well as make sure the fish are well fed.

At least I can grow Algae
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 01:00 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
If you aren't interested in setting up a second tank for them, then the best hope is just making sure there is lots of cover for the babies to hide in. They will still get eaten every now and again but some will probably make it through with enough luck and enough leafy hiding spaces.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKeepShrimp View Post
If you aren't interested in setting up a second tank for them, then the best hope is just making sure there is lots of cover for the babies to hide in.
I recently found a 17 litre (4.5 gallon) tank in my grandparents garage and wasn't sure what to do with it. It's pretty dirty and even had plants growing in the old filter compartment but do you think I could clean it up and set up a tank before the babies are born?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 01:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cykeclops View Post
I recently found a 17 litre (4.5 gallon) tank in my grandparents garage and wasn't sure what to do with it. It's pretty dirty and even had plants growing in the old filter compartment but do you think I could clean it up and set up a tank before the babies are born?
Don't rush it. You'll have to clean it thoroughly, set it up and let it cycle. You can just hope for the best. Like everyone said provide as much cover as you possibly can.

In the meantime, set the 4.5 gallon up!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 03:23 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Maybe move the fish out temporarily to the new tank, and leave the more sensitive shrimp in their current home?

A big bundle of moss or subwassertang makes a great hiding place for new born shrimplets. With any luck you won't see them for the first week or two, and neither will the fish!
Econde and evil8 like this.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by en7jos View Post
Maybe move the fish out temporarily to the new tank, and leave the more sensitive shrimp in their current home?
Unfortunately I can't move my fish anywhere because I have 18 tetras combined and no tank big enough to hold them : (

Quote:
Originally Posted by en7jos View Post
A big bundle of moss or subwassertang makes a great hiding place for new born shrimplets. With any luck you won't see them for the first week or two, and neither will the fish!
This weekend I'm going to go to my LFS to get supplies to set up the 17L so I'll definitely grab some subwassertang and moss for my current tank!

I'm not 100% sure I'll get this new tank done in time and I might end up leaving the shrimp and their babies in my community tank but I'm still going to set it up because I can use it if I'm in a similar situation in the future.
Econde likes this.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 12:19 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Unfortunately I can't move my fish anywhere because I have 18 tetras combined and no tank big enough to hold them : (
In that case, I guess all you can do is to provide lots of hiding places and keep your fingers crossed!

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 02:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If you set up the smaller tank now with media from the bigger tank you *MIGHT* be able to get it cycled before the babies hatch.... however, there really wont be much biofilm for the shrimp to graze on as it's not a very mature tank.... but it's doable.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 02:57 PM
Algae Grower

With regard to creating additional cover for the babies in the main community tank, I've been recently watching a ton of shrimp related YouTube videos and I've seen recommendations for building a rock pile in the tank. It seems it's a great place for the berried shrimp to release the babies. If you already have some rocks in the tank, piling them up would be great because the shrimplets can hide in there and there will be biofilm on the rocks for them to graze on.

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLW8WghQ9-8
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 04:47 PM
Algae Grower

your best bet is going to be supplying as many hiding places as you can. My shrimps have had the best yield with really dense carpeting plants. I've had major success with a thick carpet of dwarf sag. I say carpeting plants just because most fish will stay either mid-level or at the top of the tank.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 04:53 PM
Planted Member

Low light led shrimps and snails to be more active

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 07:37 PM
Algae Grower

I recommend setting up the 4.5G as others have said. Take old filter media, a sack of substrate (or fill the bottom with substrate from the old tank) and if you have any logs/plants you can move into the small tank it would be good. The more you move over there, the quicker the cycling will happen. Anything you move will also have the biofilm that the babies will need to feed. That said it will still happen, and stress the shrimp. You might lose this round of babies, but if you get that 4.5G cycled, you can move some shrimp into it and breed some over there.

Also be sure you are careful about your filter selection. Most filters are baby shrimp blenders. A sponge filter is a great one for a small tank like that. If you have a HOB style, you at least need to buy the sponge cover for the intake.

Good luck!

Matthew
38G: AquaClear70: Planted, 1 Angel, 6 Tetras, 1 Platy, 1 Bristlenose Pleco.
5G Fluval Spec V: Built-in filter, Heavily planted, RCS and Tangerine Tiger Shrimp
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 03:30 PM
Algae Grower

Seconding everything everyone else has said:
- Gets LOTS of moss- they love it. It grows fast, great hiding places for baby shrimp, and holds a lot of bio-film they'll eat.
- Set up new tank now for the future- don't rush putting anything in that tank though. I was having trouble keeping shrimp in my tank even after 6-8 weeks. It wasn't until 3-3.5 months after the tank was set up and run for awhile before I could sustain any sort of numbers.
- Look into a sponge filter for the small tank- they're cheap and easy. If you have a filter already or are looking at getting one, at least make sure there's a sponge on the intake (if there's no sponge on the intake, it will suck up all the baby shrimp).

ALSO- Do yourself a favor and get Bacter AE. It spreads a biofilm for your shrimp to eat and it increases baby survival rate tenfold. Since I've been using Bacter AE, I haven't had a single problem with my shrimp and I seriously think it makes a huge difference. (Just make sure you make really small doses- one container will last forever)

Goodluck!!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 08:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I would recommend being careful about Bacter AE. A lot of people swear by it, so it works great for many! However, it has also been known to kill shrimp, even potentially an entire colony when it was fed at either recommended or half dose or even fed at all.

It's believed that it removes oxygen from the water column, thus suffocating shrimp.

I've never used the stuff personally, but there's plenty of anecdotal data out there. That is, it can vary from person to person, perhaps even colony to colony aka type of shrimp vs type of shrimp.

Tags
community tank, shrimp breeding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode