How do I help my baby shrimp survive? (Community Tank) - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 08:48 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
I would recommend being careful about Bacter AE. A lot of people swear by it, so it works great for many! However, it has also been known to kill shrimp, even potentially an entire colony when it was fed at either recommended or half dose or even fed at all.

It's believed that it removes oxygen from the water column, thus suffocating shrimp.

I've never used the stuff personally, but there's plenty of anecdotal data out there. That is, it can vary from person to person, perhaps even colony to colony aka type of shrimp vs type of shrimp.
I’ve heard that too about Bacter AE and I’ve adjusted to feeding way, way less than the recommended scoop. I don’t use a half scoop or even a quarter scoop. I use about an eighth of a scoop once a week and it seems to work well and I haven’t recorded any deaths since toning down the quantity. I think it’s good stuff, but the recommended dosage is entirely too high.
Zoidburg likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-24-2020, 04:31 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by cykeclops View Post
Hi there!
I set up a 165 litre (43.6 gallon) community tank in late august with cherry shrimp, ember tetras and rummynose tetras and I didn't really care about breeding any of them or anything. However, today I found two of my cherry shrimp carrying eggs and even though I didn't initially care I'm really excited and want to give them the best chance I can. Is there anything I can do to give them a better chance at survival?

(I've never kept fish or shrimp before this btw)

Photo of my tank here : )
What about an acrylic breeding box... with some moss in it... might be an easier option for this time
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-24-2020, 09:28 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Regarding BacterAE, I'm in the camp who think it's great on the ***big proviso*** that you ditch the supplied spoon and dose a small fraction of what the instructions say. All my shrimp (from few day old babies to the big ones) go mad for it! I use a very small (3 or 4 mm diameter?) kids drinking straw - the type you get with Yakulk probiotic drinks. I cut the end at an oblique angle so as to form a tiny shovel. I then add about 1/2 to 1/3 of what I could fit into this tiny scoop into my 11 litres tanks. I used to mix in with tank water in a syringe and squirt it in, but now I just throw it on the surface. The shrimp zoom up, find something to hang beneath and filter it from the surface. My chilli rasboras also seem to love it.

I've read that others feed by dipping a tooth pick into the BacterAE pot and what sticks to the end is their dose. Think this illustrates just how little of the stuff you need!
Zoidburg likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-03-2020, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi guys! Sorry for no updates!
I set up the 4.5g a while ago and added plants, driftwood, substrate, filter media and indian almond leaves that had all been in the previous tank. I also added some snowflake food and let it sit there and grow fungus, added some snails to create ammonia and added some fluval biological booster all to speed up the cycle. I added a few male shrimp a few days ago to make sure it was 100% safe before adding the more sensitive berried shrimp and they've been doing great! I'm planning on adding the berried shrimp soon.
Thanks for all your advice everybody!!

Photos of the 4.5g:
[1] [2] [3]
deeda and mfgann like this.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-03-2020, 03:15 PM
Algae Grower

if you worried about there being enough to eat make up some spirulina powder and gelatin ' jelly' , loved by shrimp of all sizes and won't just sit in the water column briefly before embedding itself in the filter foam like loose powdery food tend to
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-03-2020, 10:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Looks good. Have you kept an eye on the water parameters?
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-05-2020, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hey everyone!
I've been looking for Bacter AE but I'm having trouble finding it at an affordable price that also ships to where I live (some of the only places shipping it to where i live are charging $90 for it). Does anyone have any recommendations for where I can find it and/or some substitutes?
I'm considering using Boss Aquaria's baby powder and I would also be interested in hearing people's thoughts on it : )
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-05-2020, 08:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Hey everyone!
I've been looking for Bacter AE but I'm having trouble finding it at an affordable price that also ships to where I live (some of the only places shipping it to where i live are charging $90 for it). Does anyone have any recommendations for where I can find it and/or some substitutes?
I'm considering using Boss Aquaria's baby powder and I would also be interested in hearing people's thoughts on it : )
Aqualabs in Australia may have it.... although I'm seeing people recommend Bacterium over it.
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-05-2020, 12:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I've been looking for Bacter AE but I'm having trouble finding it at an affordable price that also ships to where I live (some of the only places shipping it to where i live are charging $90 for it).
I recently bought via Amazon US, shipped globally to Singapore at pretty reasonable cost:
https://www.amazon.com/Glasgarten-Tr.../dp/B00KB9LPYK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi everyone!
I woke up this morning and found little baby shrimp in my tank!
I'm so excited!!
I took some photos for anyone who wants to see them

https://ibb.co/myKh5DS
https://ibb.co/72dRD4S
https://ibb.co/M6GCLv1
https://ibb.co/4JmtgHY
Zoidburg likes this.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 04:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I think I see two or three babies in the last photo! Awesome!
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 06:52 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Hi everyone!

I'm so excited!!

I took some photos for anyone who wants to see them

https://ibb.co/myKh5DS

https://ibb.co/72dRD4S

https://ibb.co/M6GCLv1

https://ibb.co/4JmtgHY
I understand your excitement and we share it. Look what i found on mine yesterday

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 03:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Yay, Christmas came early! Congratulations

Tags
community tank, shrimp breeding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode