• 2 Post By en7jos
  • 1 Post By Discusluv

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2020, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
shrimp and snail safe fertilizer?

Hi

Any suggestions for shrimp and snail safe fertilizer?

(can't find threads about this)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2020, 03:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aupti View Post
Hi

Any suggestions for shrimp and snail safe fertilizer?

(can't find threads about this)
Surely something came up? If not then HERE.
Discusluv likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2020, 04:20 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I use that Aquarium Co-op All-In-One fertilizer in my shrimp tanks and it doesn't seem to bother them at all. I like the All-In-One liquid fertilizers just because its easy on me. Shrimp still breed like mad and seem pretty unbothered by it. I know there is someone on this forum that sells some shrimp-safe root tabs if you want to look around for that too.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2020, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

do you have neocaridina or caridina? and which ones
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2020, 04:53 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Neocaridina at the moment. They are just regular cherries but all the different colorations in the neocaridina line aren't different species they are just different mutations from the same species so none of them are going to require different parameters than any of the others. Getting a new tank started for some undecided caridina species at the moment so I'll let you know if that changes anything but that won't be for a month or two but I don't think I've heard of any problems any shrimp owners have had with these particular fertilizers.

Edit: I'm certainly not the shrimpiest expert out there but I will say that my understanding is that as long as the fertilizer doesn't have excessive amounts of copper you should be alright. Within reason anyway, I'm sure there are some exceptions like some kind of super ferts that blast your tank with insanely high amounts of potassium or something.

Last edited by IKeepShrimp; 09-15-2020 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Added Information
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2020, 05:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Econde View Post
Surely something came up? If not then HERE.
This is what I use- with neos and caradina ( OERT, Babaulti, and PRL/PBL).
Econde likes this.

Amy
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2020, 07:37 PM
Algae Grower

I also use Aquarium Co-op Easy Green as well as their Easy Carbon (low tech setup) and have not had any problems with my cherry shrimp.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thank you
I will order the one that you tried with caridinas, as I have PRLs which I really want to guard, but both options look good.
I watched a lot of aquarium coop videos, didnt realize they made products lol!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 03:50 AM
Planted Member

Full Seachem range is shrimp safe; that's what I use in all my tanks. I just avoid Excel and add minimal iron in my shrimp tanks.
Blue Ridge Reef and Discusluv like this.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 07:06 PM
Algae Grower

I'm using Aquarium Co-op's Easy Green with RCS and Tangerine Tigers. Both seem happy as can be. RCS are berried. Tangerine Tigers are still juvies, but are doing fine after a couple of weeks.

Matthew
38G: AquaClear70: Planted, 1 Angel, 6 Tetras, 1 Platy, 1 Bristlenose Pleco.
5G Fluval Spec V: Built-in filter, Heavily planted, RCS and Tangerine Tiger Shrimp
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 03:33 PM
Algae Grower

I use easy green because it's so easy! No problems with my shrimp.

I also dose excel without any issues and I think the entire Seachem line is shrimp safe.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 06:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I would never dose excel with shrimp you couldn't afford to lose. My PRL/PBL and OERT are expensive. No way would I risk Excel with them.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

Amy
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 09:14 PM
Algae Grower

The thrust of this thread made me tilt my head a little. Is there a fertilizer that is shrimp and snail unsafe? I understand that fertilizer can throw off your TDS and that can be detrimental to some species, but is there anything on the market that is straight up toxic like the way medication can be? (Excel is not a fertilizer.)
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2020, 04:23 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleDee View Post
The thrust of this thread made me tilt my head a little. Is there a fertilizer that is shrimp and snail unsafe? I understand that fertilizer can throw off your TDS and that can be detrimental to some species, but is there anything on the market that is straight up toxic like the way medication can be? (Excel is not a fertilizer.)

^ this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 01:24 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleDee View Post
Very good point and question! I guess it all depends upon dose - i.e. too much of anything is deadly, a small enough amount of anything toxic is 'safe'.

My understanding is that it's better to keep fert's at a lower / modest level in a 'shrimp' tank than in a 'planted' tank (with an obvious big grey area for everyone with shrimp in a planted tank!). Copper in fert's seems to be biggest concern, but levels usually low enough to be safe. The reason I like the Seachem range is that everything is separate so I can balance to what (I think) the tank requires, and also the baseline 'beginner' doses on the bottle are quite low-level and hence shrimp safe if you follow the instructions. Not sure whether the default / starter dose on other makes of fert's would be classified as low / medium / high?

Would the key point perhaps be to use whatever fert you like, but to properly understand and use the 'correct' dosage for your tank?

And maybe little and often being better than one big weekly fert dump?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode