Need help identifying snail parasite - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Need help identifying snail parasite

Hello everyone!

I recently got a Tylomelania teufel from an online local shop (Italy). Shipment was problematic cause the shop, at the last moment, changed to a very bad courier service (well known in my country) and, while i bought two of them, only one survived the delivery.
Now, the survivor snail came in pretty bad conditions, at least 2 cracks on the shell and a strange thing attached to the side of her head but at least she is alive for now and i would like to save this amazing creature.

That small white worm-like creature move very slowly but remains attached to that location. Below him, as you can see, there is a strange organic mass that have the same color of the worm but i have no idea if it's something like a sore/ulcer or a worm's egg sack. My first idea is a leech but i don't have enough experience to be sure about that.
I have a bottle of Seachem Paraguard but i think it will harm the snail so i haven't used it yet (and i don't think i will since Seachem itself suggest to remove snails before dosing in the tank).

Anyone can ID this creature and/or the white mass below him? Do you know how can i get rid of him from the snail?
Thanks for any help, really appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200912_221422.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	902895  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200912_222208.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	902897  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 04:35 PM
Algae Grower

Iíve seen a very similar lesion in a wild land snail (Achatina sp.) a few years back. I could never identify it.

Iím not sure about the details you see but it could be a tumour and not a parasite. In either case touching it with a liquid nitrogen dipped bud would be my treatment of choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 05:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Take a look at this older article https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8...g-leeches.html and see if it would be helpful.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the replies!

I have a quick update: since yesterday the "withe sack" is disappeared, it went smaller and smaller everyday and, the worm disappeared too with the "white sack". The snail is active and go around and dig his head in the gravel looking for food.
My idea is that this worm was (probably is, somewhere) a detritus worm and he was eating the stuff that the snail got stuck on the side of her head digging with it in the ground. What do you think?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode