• 1 Post By Blue Ridge Reef
  • 1 Post By somewhatshocked

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2020, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Gender ratio at purchase

Hello there,

I am ordering a group of 15 RCS Sakuras for my 37Liters (approx.10gal) and I was wondering about the gender ratio I should order. I found this article online:
https://aquariumbreeder.com/male-to-...e-shrimp-tank/

What is your experience with the ratio? In my case do you think 10 females to 5 males ratio will work out fine? Or should I push it to 9/6?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2020, 12:45 PM
Planted Member

I'll leave others with more experience to comment about ratios, but as the article you linked above says:

It is very difficult to understand the sex of the shrimp with the naked eye when they are juveniles, which is when they are mainly sold.

So how will you go about ordering a specific gender ratio anyway? You'll probably be buying juvenile shrimp, which is good as they're usually better able to survive shipping and adapt to their new home. But you can't sex a juvenile shrimp, so... how?

Regards, James
Blue Ridge Reef and Zoidburg like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2020, 02:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

It's recommended to purchase juvenile shrimp, which "home breeders" generally provide. This in turn means that you could get any number of males or females but they'll at least be able to adapt better to whatever parameters you have set up for them - as long as they are within range.

Buying adults typically means you are purchasing imported livestock or perhaps from someone who is less experienced about what to ship or otherwise. Adults tend to struggle more with different parameters than juvies.

It's recommended to get at least 10 shrimp as the chances of getting male and female are higher than purchasing fewer shrimp.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2020, 05:39 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Reading through his care guides, the author seems to be a passionate hobbyist, but from skimming some articles I wouldn't use that particular blog for my care information. While I wouldn't go so far as to say this article is rubbish, the advice therein is completely impractical. As has been said, buying adult shrimp and acclimating them to new water is far from ideal, not to mention in over a decade of shrimp buying and perusing ads I can't recall ever seeing gendered shrimp offered for sale. I suppose you could grow a group out and cull extra males to such a ratio as they suggest, but offering a large enough space and lots of cover should keep females safe.

You will usually have a reasonably close ratio of males to females. I bought 10+2 Pintos about a year back and it's the only time I've had a noticeably skewed ratio. 11 males, only 1 female grew out of the batch. I'd think that's astronomically dumb bad luck, and that one female has been slowly but surely filling up the tank anyway, with a quite a few young females coming up now. I planted the tank heavily so she's been fine even with 11 eager suitors every time she's molted.
Zoidburg likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2020, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

hey everyone. I understand you usually buy juveniles, no pro breeder would give the base of his holding. I just asked the seller to try to differentiate between the males and females to the best of his pro expertise. I asked him to get me 11-4 ratio to the best of his knowledge. If it works out- fine, if not- no problem.
I have heard stories from people who got a reversed ratio and still their stock is growing, but why not try help my luck if I can.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 01:47 AM
Algae Grower

I had bad luck.
I purchased high level PRL shrimp. Ordered 10. got 13. I thought originally maybe the young age made some females look like males. 2.5 months later: turned out 10 males 3 females.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 04:06 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to shou
From my experience in breeding Amano shrimp, almost always in each generation, I got 3 to 4 time males to female ratio.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 04:23 PM
Algae Grower

you breed amano shrimp?? that's crazy complicated, isn't it?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 07:22 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to shou
Quote:
Originally Posted by aupti View Post
you breed amano shrimp?? that's crazy complicated, isn't it?
Complicated until got a handle of the processed.

Last edited by shou; 09-13-2020 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Edited
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 10:07 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
In more than 20 years, I've rarely concerned myself with the ratio of M to F that I'm buying. If you buy healthy stock, you'll probably be fine regardless.

Generally, if there's at least one male and one female and parameters are right? You'll end up with tons of babies.

Since you're in the EU, @romster, you'll have better access to more affordable "fancy" shrimp than most do in North America. My advice would be to just get some nice, healthy juveniles and see what happens. Then add more later if you think it's necessary.

I like to add new blood to my tanks every once in a while and have always been able to find someone to trade with. That's something you could also consider if you discover you aren't having luck with breeding.

There are several members here from Slovakia. The person I'm thinking of is from Zvolen, I think, and they have a few varieties of shrimp. So it shouldn't be too tough to find someone near-ish you. (Maybe we need to create a European Union section in the Local part of the forum...)
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@somewhatshocked thanks for your reply. Zvolen is actually a town about 15min drive from where I am. I have already purchased my little group of Sakuras. For some reason, if they are nicely colored, I prefer them to any other color of Neocaridinas.

I also have a small group of Bloody mary and Sakura mix, some of them look very impressive, but because they come from a guy who had these two varieties in the same tank he told me he could not be sure of what he is selling me, they could be mixed or pure bloodied as well. The next generations will tell, or might not. But now I wanted to be sure so as I said above, I got my pure Sakuras (I hope they are) today. Some males are not as colored as I hoped at the purchase, but I will give them time. Some are still really tiny.

When you mentioned the variety here in Europe you were right. People sell a lot of different morphs and species. And compared to the prices I saw on the US websites they are sold next to nothing here. The problem is when purchasing from private stocks, as some breeders just like to have all the different varieties in one tank where they interbreed and often you cannot be sure of what you are purchasing.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode