• 1 Post By Blue Ridge Reef
  • 1 Post By Zoidburg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Neocaridina- Red Sakura and Bloody Mary mix

Hello all,

First of all I am a shrimp novice. I have a question regarding grading the shrimps my buddy wants to give me. He breeds shrimps and by some accident his Neocaridina mixed. Red Sakura grade with Bloody Mary grade. In shrimp keeping world, would you say they are completely worthless or do they take the grade of the lower grade of the parents, in this case Red Sakura grade. Thanks for your insight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 05:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Sakura red and bloody Mary stem from two different color lineage. If they were to breed, there is a high chance for wild type(brown) colors to emerge from the shrimplettes.
Blue Ridge Reef and romster like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ahaa, now I get it. I was not too far from truth yesterday when I was wondering and asking him, after a little research, why are his shrimps so nice and red when they are offspring of Sakura line= Red Cherry and Bloody Mary= Chocolate line when he had told me earlier that you may not mix different lineages. Now it all the pieces fit together. Although the shrimps he wants to give me are very nice a bright and dark red, you may never be sure of their offspring. Thank you
Econde likes this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 10:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Red + Red = More Red

The "mix" has already been done, I believe using PFR with BM and the line was called "Savage Red's". I do not know how much culling was necessary to keep the shrimp red and bright, only that culling was done.

When Savage left the hobby for some time, she split her colony up and sold them to different hobbyists. I do not know if her line prevails.
ichthyogeek and Econde like this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2020, 12:51 AM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I'm not of the belief that it's that simple. I don't fully disagree but I think there might be more x factors depending on genetics from the one time I tried this. It's only anecdotal evidence from one aquarium so take it as you will, but red + red didn't equal more red in my one trial of adding bloody marys to a long established cherry tank. My plan was to "redden" my rather average cherries. I did get some that were great but suddenly had to cull whereas before adding them they were all at least reddish shrimp. I'd never seen a rili, clear, brown or even jet black sport pop up in that tank before doing that. My hesitance to just break the tank down and catch them all out resulted in it becoming a 125 gallon cull tank to this day that I throw everything in that doesn't make some color cut. And I probably stare at shrimp in that one as much as any other, so I don't say that like it's a bad thing. I just think that outcrossing lines has a higher potential to surprise you.
Zoidburg likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2020, 01:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

@Blue Ridge Reef it could very well depend on the grade of cherry shrimp and perhaps even line. Like I said though, I do not know how much culling was done to achieve the red line, so I don't know how many, if any, "wild type" may have appeared. You mentioned "average" cherry shrimp, which leads me to believe that they were not a high grade, and maybe that made a difference in your experience? Maybe not.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode