• 1 Post By Zoidburg
  • 1 Post By en7jos
  • 1 Post By Econde
  • 1 Post By Zoidburg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
What??? My yellow goldenback suddenly turned green!

Dear All,

What on earth is going on here? One of my bright yellow goldenback neo shrimp has suddenly turned jade green! Seems to have happened overnight, there was a molt in the tank, but can't be sure it was from this guy. It seems otherwise healthy and going about it's shrimpy business as normal. But whilst it still has its bright golden racing stripe, it's sides have suddenly turned jade green.

What is going on ????

A number of photos are in the album here, but highlights posted below:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 01:41 PM
Algae Grower

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Just doing some Googling and came up with this page. My Goldenback now looks remarkably like the pictures shown here for Green Jade neo's:
https://buceplant.com/products/green-jade-shrimp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 01:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

^^^THIS^^^

Astaxanthin ingredient - could be a direct ingredient or from fish that consume food with it.....
en7jos likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks @sandpro and @Zoidburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by moranger View Post
They will turn green if you feed them food that contains Astaxanthin. My turned a real dark blue/green and even the eggs of berried shrimp turned green. I don't know about any veggies that will turn them green though. My shrimp stayed green for a good 6 weeks after I fed them.
Have no idea what astaxanthin is, but the Glas Garten Shrimp Baby I've been feeding the tank (both shrimp and rasbora love it!) has it!
"Contains 300ppm of astaxanthin for more brilliant colours"
I guess that might be the answer then. Guess I'll stop feeding that and see what happens. Thanks for spotting that one.
Having said that, jade green with the golden stripe does look kind of cool....(so long as the shrimpies are healthy and it's not some nasty green fungus that is!)
Zoidburg likes this.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 01:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
That looks cool. Congrats!
en7jos likes this.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 04:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I just found a bright, brilliant blue shrimp with my green Jades. Its amazing- much prettier than the green jades. I am guessing blues are used with another color-firm to male the Jades.

Amy
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 08:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
I just found a bright, brilliant blue shrimp with my green Jades. Its amazing- much prettier than the green jades. I am guessing blues are used with another color-firm to male the Jades.

Greens typically come from yellows... but not bred with another color to obtain green.

And the good ones are not color fed, either!

As to why one, or only a few yellows turn green but not an entire colony is an odd question.... I have had yellows, in the past, turn green before. Fluval shrimp food... it's not an ingredient, but it's in there! In fish or salmon meal?
Discusluv likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 09:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
Greens typically come from yellows... but not bred with another color to obtain green.

And the good ones are not color fed, either!

As to why one, or only a few yellows turn green but not an entire colony is an odd question.... I have had yellows, in the past, turn green before. Fluval shrimp food... it's not an ingredient, but it's in there! In fish or salmon meal?
Well, I just got some pretty blues from @Blue Ridge Reef - maybe I brought it over on accident from that tank to the other on a net? (shrugs). Ill need to take it out and put with the blues.

EDIT: The Emeralds are very dark that I have, almost black. I wish they were lighter green.

Amy
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 09:39 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I wonder if it wasn't a blue. There were a couple of *itty* bitty babies that got in that bag, most were about the 1/4" to 1/2" size like I prefer to get but good luck swiping a new through plants and getting the shrimp you are after and only that one.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode