• 2 Post By germanblueramlover
  • 3 Post By en7jos
  • 3 Post By ph1sh99

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2020, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My CRS shrimps keep dying

Hello I have CRS shrimp tank and everyday 1 - 2 shrimp is dying I don't know why, my tds was high a bit but I'm getting lower tds slowy by change %15 every week now ( before add in tank put in water gh+ and make tds 140ppm) when I saw dead shrimp I think it's peace of shell on it, my tds is 260 ppm now, I will make it lower slowly. I did cycle my tank 2 week before add shrimps, I know it's very little, I didn't know. (sorry for my english btw)

my paremeters now:

tds: 260

temp: 24 degree

I don't know other paremeters but I'm going to buy ph meter, what else can I do? I'm trying everyting, I don't want to my shrimps die anymore, I have left 7 shrimps.

here is my shrimp photo after die:
Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-08-22 at 04.15.17 (1).jpg
Views:	16
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	902309Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-08-22 at 04.15.17.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	902311
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2020, 01:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
There could be a few things I can see here. 1 tank isn't mature enough 2 temp is a bit warmer than I usually keep and. Breed mine on 3. Tds is a bit high but stability is key and depends where you got your shrimp from and what parameters they kept them in
Keep at it and I know you'll be successful

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
lebowskia likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2020, 05:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

You kind of need to know the following information...

pH
GH
KH
TDS

There's not enough information to say but it's possible the water is too hard... or maybe too warm... or there's no stability due to incorrect water used.... or maybe diet...

Sorry.
rwong2k and lebowskia like this.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2020, 11:09 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
For such a new tank, definitely get tests for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate ! Are you certain the cycle was fully completed after just 2 weeks?
rwong2k and lebowskia like this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Someone recomment me a spring water here that with right parameters, he said breeding with this water like years and and I did waterchange 2 days ago with this water with gh+, my tds is 180 now, better than before I think? 2 shrimps died after waterchange, but now shrimps looks good, I have left 3 shrimps but there is no death today hopefully, I'm really happy not dead any shrimp, I think I'm gonna be successful, I'm going to buy gh test this week, shrimps looks good and moving. when I'm after if make sure there is no death anymore and tank is stabil, and then I will buy new colony. I will use this water untill can use pure RO water.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 01:30 PM
Planted Member

Hi @lebowskia

Shrimp, especially CRS, need stability above all else. Reducing the TDS from 260 to 180 in a single water change is a massive swing and probably too much for them, hence deaths after w/c. Not only the TDS swing, but possibly a corresponding pH swing too. Personally I'm trying to work to a "maximum 10%" rule whereby I don't change more than 10% of the water in one go, or change any of the water parameters by more than 10% in one go. My goal as my tank stabilises and I get better at this shrimp-keeping game is to move to a "maximum 5%" rule on my CRS tank. Just something to maybe consider.

Stability of the water parameters is the key, even if this means that they are not all perfect. Shrimp can adapt to less than ideal conditions (obviously some types are more adaptable than others), but not if water parameters keep swinging back and forth.

Before you do anything else, get yourself at least pH, GH, KH and ammonia test kits (preferably nitrite and nitrate too) and monitor your tank water for a week or two to understand the values and if there are any fluctuations.

Good luck, have fun =)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 06:04 PM

I can relate to your issues and what I have learned is to take it slow and steady. Sudden changes will shock the shrimp and will have negative results. Keep at it and do frequent water tests so you know how things are progressing. Good luck!
rwong2k, en7jos and lebowskia like this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 07:29 PM
Algae Grower

How quickly are you adding the new water?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode