is ellobiopsidae/green fungus still an issue for cherry shrimp? - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By mostly moss
  • 1 Post By en7jos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-21-2020, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
is ellobiopsidae/green fungus still an issue for cherry shrimp?

I've seen lots of concerns about this issue in imported shrimp, however nothing in the past 1-2 years. Does this mean that suppliers figured out how to deal with it? With all that's going on, I'm having a hard time finding shrimp in stock online from a reliable source that doesn't use USPS for shipping, AND that has other livestock I want so I can combine shipping.

I have to return something to Petco, and since I have to go inside the store anyway, I'm super tempted to just buy some cherry shrimp (and maybe a mystery snail) while I'm there.... I've had a tank running and ready for them for a couple of months and I admit my impatience is getting the better of my resolve to be cautious. There's nothing else in the tank except plants and MTS, so the biggest risk is to my limited aquarium fund, not any other livestock.

Thanks for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-21-2020, 09:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yes, it is still a concern, however Petco shrimp *rarely* come with it. Proper name is supposedly Cladogonium Ogishimae. (can't remember that!)

https://amateurshrimper.blogspot.com...-known-as.html
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2020, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, I took a chance on “rarely” and got the last 8 cherry shrimp at any Petco in my area. And three mystery snails. They made me unreasonably happy today as I sat in my work-from-home office in a closet looking at my tank. One has molted already, which I assume is a good sign, and they all seem to be very happy picking algae and other bits off the plants and wood.

It’s been over a decade since I bought shrimp. I have one descendent left from a batch I got probably 12 years ago, and I would have said she was pretty red but these guys are obviously in a different class altogether. I’m not picky about grade, and would have even said I preferred the more wild looking ones with some transparency, but they are so nice and bright against the plants that I am just head over heels for them. One is an almost burgundy color, which doesn’t show up as well against the wood, but is very beautiful.

Fingers crossed that they will all stay healthy...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	079E9E5D-CE81-4463-9E0D-7DD6543E5320_1598315784188.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	474.8 KB
ID:	902421  

Click image for larger version

Name:	E64C9E93-51CF-4AD9-A78C-F53FBE6A4748_1598315811263.jpeg
Views:	17
Size:	266.3 KB
ID:	902423  

Zoidburg likes this.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2020, 05:23 AM
Planted Member

Yes, still a concern, one of my RCS had it recently, as per this thread (I thought it was berried, until it died!):
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8...-bit-pale.html

Look closely under the shrimp right at the front in this photo:

I only had one shrimp come down with it in a small tank with 10-15 other RCS - phew! When that one died and I understood that it was the "green fungus", I did a few H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) treatments as Mark's Shrimp Tanks mentioned in one of his Youtube videos that this is a cure. So I was too late to treat my infected shrimp, but the good news is that it doesn't seem to have infected any other shrimp in the tank. Not sure whether that is purely by luck, or due to the H2O2 treatments. Either way, seems occasional H2O2 dosing is good for a shrimp tank (clears my hair algae and the shrimp seem to enjoy the bubbles!), so maybe consider that as a precautionary quarantine treatment if you're concerned. Search Youtube for "Mark's shrimp tanks h2o2" for the video which is worth watching...

Thanking @Zoidburg for his incredibly useful summary here:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8...l#post11166501

Enjoy your new shrimpies!
James =)
Zoidburg likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2020, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks so much to both of you for replying. I am hanging onto the info for future reference, and keeping a close eye on my new shrimp. Not sure thatís doing much for my productivity at work, but itís fun...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode