Baby snail identification - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Zoidburg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2020, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
I set up a small planted tank 2 weeks ago with a java fern and a betta. Added a mystery snail a week ago and today just noticed this baby snail crawling around. Is it a pest snail?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15974130049794770049830513994704_1597413016038.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	901997  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2020, 01:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Bladder snail and grouped as a "pest" snail. If you don't mind snails though, leave it be.
deeda and Blue Ridge Reef like this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2020, 05:33 PM
Planted Member

I was just about to post the same question with a photo(below) that looks pretty much the same.

These snails somehow came with plants that I have obtained from several sources, the most likely being a local guy who was taking his tank down and selling off livestock. The algae and snails were thrown in for free. With Covid precautions I went with photos as I could not go inside his house. At first they were small white dots on my glass. Now several are this size and are starting to lay eggs on the underside of leaves.

So my question now is what constitutes a "pest". Someone replied to an earlier post of mine that "a weed is any plant that you do not want". Perhaps true but not very helpful.

My guess is that unlike my Nerite snails these may have bad habits or may overrun a tank if allowed to stay? I doubt that anyone would call them a pest otherwise.

So what is their story?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3066.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	902131

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2020, 06:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mourip View Post
I was just about to post the same question with a photo(below) that looks pretty much the same.

These snails somehow came with plants that I have obtained from several sources, the most likely being a local guy who was taking his tank down and selling off livestock. The algae and snails were thrown in for free. With Covid precautions I went with photos as I could not go inside his house. At first they were small white dots on my glass. Now several are this size and are starting to lay eggs on the underside of leaves.

So my question now is what constitutes a "pest". Someone replied to an earlier post of mine that "a weed is any plant that you do not want". Perhaps true but not very helpful.

My guess is that unlike my Nerite snails these may have bad habits or may overrun a tank if allowed to stay? I doubt that anyone would call them a pest otherwise.

So what is their story?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachment 902131
These snails are considered a pest for several reasons. First and foremost, once you have a bunch in there, they are very difficult to get rid of for good. Second, they will outcompete other organisms for food. If you have a very clean tank and low amounts of algae, they will outnumber and outcompete the things you put in your tank on purpose, like Nerites, Amano Shrimp, Neoís, etc. Finally, they can built to such a number that they clog filters, overflows, tubing, etc. I had a mini-ramshorn problem in an old tank that was so bad they clogged up and burnt out my filter impeller motor. My flow had stopped and the filter was making horrible noises, so I opened it up and found tens of thousands of snails clogging the whole filter unit.

If you ever think you're too small to make a difference, spend a couple of nights sleeping with a mosquito.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2020, 07:58 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I add pond, bladder, trumpet and ramshorns to every tank I set up. Rarely have overpopulation issues in tanks that are maintained properly and if you want to reduce, they easy to lower the number of. I believe that these snails are a net positive in the panted aquarium. If you are seeing hundreds of them, either something has died or far too much food has been fed over time. Nothing reproduces past its resources, and in the aquarium, we provide the resources.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

Last edited by Blue Ridge Reef; 08-18-2020 at 08:09 PM. Reason: reason
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2020, 09:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

People do occasionally look for snails to feed their puffer fish, too... and "pest" snails are often a cheap or even free method of doing so.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode