• 1 Post By Blue Ridge Reef
  • 1 Post By Discusluv
  • 1 Post By minorhero

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
YouTube Advice Audit re High Tech and CRS

Don't know if y'all watch Green Aqua's stuff, but I do. Great tanks and really some of the best aquascaping work out there. I like their style better than ADA, Olivera, and some of the others, although there is some bleed over since those folks have tanks at GA.

In any event, I've been curious about the European view of shrimpkeeping (All shrimp in low ph with aquasoil; high tech w/ CO2, Excel, ferts, etc. fine for all shrimps) v. the American view (high tech not really great for any shrimps, but CRS are worse off than Neos in it). In one of the videos I ask about CO2, ferts, etc. with high grade CRS and they responded that it was all fine, they use the same high fert, excel, CO2 routine that they do with all of their tanks (they do 50% water changes weekly). They also claim that Dennerle's Shrimp King consulted on the tanks and said it was all fine. That is all news to me, as there are several points that folks here in the thread and other American sources dispute. In any event, curious as to what y'all think.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 04:05 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I'm skeptical of these videos from the aspect of keeping these aquariums up for the long term, though guessing that they have a ton of safeguards. Remineralized, aged and aerated RO water of exacting parameters for water changes and so forth would be paramount. What I'd like to see is these tanks 6 months, a year, 2 years down the road. I'm capable of setting a shiny new tank up and placing shrimp in them to shoot a video but having that tank keep fragile shrimp alive let alone producing offspring for years is another matter entirely. Excel use as well as large water changes and ferts have demonstrably impacted shrimp populations in my own tanks. Can what they are doing in these videos be done? I'm sure with a lot of precise measuring and dosing it could. But even my 2 high tech tanks with hardy Neos have taken a ton of dialing in before the shrimp started to thrive and reproduce normally. I guess the tl;dr version is I'm sure it's possible but wow would your margin of error seem to be low in such a setup.
Discusluv likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 04:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I'm skeptical of these videos from the aspect of keeping these aquariums up for the long term, though guessing that they have a ton of safeguards. Remineralized, aged and aerated RO water of exacting parameters for water changes and so forth would be paramount. What I'd like to see is these tanks 6 months, a year, 2 years down the road. I'm capable of setting a shiny new tank up and placing shrimp in them to shoot a video but having that tank keep fragile shrimp alive let alone producing offspring for years is another matter entirely. Excel use as well as large water changes and ferts have demonstrably impacted shrimp populations in my own tanks. Can what they are doing in these videos be done? I'm sure with a lot of precise measuring and dosing it could. But even my 2 high tech tanks with hardy Neos have taken a ton of dialing in before the shrimp started to thrive and reproduce normally. I guess the tl;dr version is I'm sure it's possible but wow would your margin of error seem to be low in such a setup.
100% agree

Need more context on methods and how this works long-term.

This is the same skepticism I have for discus in hi-tech tanks with the high lighting, hi-dosing, Co2. Not many examples out there of this working long-term. Lots of "shiny" new examples and insistance that the long-term discus people who have been skeptical have been wrong all along.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Thank you! Do you run an airstone in your remineralized RO before you use it for a water change?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 07:26 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I do indeed. Also do that for my tap water tanks that contain shrimp.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 03:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

It seems to me that it could be a product of how the shrimp are raised... thus, how they adapt.

I have seen one European person who uses Zero Water for their tanks... another that uses bottled water with nothing added. Neither have high tech tanks, if I recall right.

Then we have Australia.... even with shrimp such as crystals, get a buffering substrate, throw in tap and you're good! Or maybe not use a buffering substrate at all? Not sure...

In short, shrimp keeping can vary around the world. The only thing I know for sure is that it would be great to get away from "tap water is fine for shrimp" bull. It's great if tap works for you! But recommending that to someone who may have completely different parameters than you, parameters that aren't ideal for shrimp, only sets that person up for failure and who knows how many lives of shrimp.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 11:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Green Aqua has CRAZY high maintenance tanks. And they do leave them up for a while. Not atypical to have tanks over a year old. They still look good but they redo them mostly for content for youtube. I am not sure there is another store in the world quite like what they have in their show room. They have done some videos about their maintenance routine and they legit have a full time employee whose primary job duty is maintaining their tanks. Every so often they leave one to get overgrown so they can do a video on trimming but otherwise this guy spends his whole day walking around trimming stuff. They are also one of the only people on the youtube to wear gloves constantly in the aquarium. When folks asked why they explained they have their hands in water for 6+ hours a day and the gloves are necessary at that point.

Anyway they keep their TDS at 250 (from memory) and when they tested during one video and found it at 280 they were like 'oh man we need to do a water change to get this back down'. In other words their parameters are pretty stable which I am sure makes a huge difference.
Zoidburg likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode