1Likes
  • 1 Post By en7jos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Small white worms

Hi
Can anyone ID these for me. They’re like grains of rice on the glass. Move quite fast
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5F74FF3D-3DFA-43C2-BA1A-76CCF755BD32_1595406020711.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	437.1 KB
ID:	901217  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 02:54 PM
Algae Grower

Hard to tell from photo, but Google "planaria" and see if that matches what you have.

Also Google "Rhabdocoela" which is a fairly harmless flatworm, but often mistaken for planaria.
Zoidburg likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 08:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Probably rhabdocoela flatworms

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 04:47 PM

So good or bad?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 02:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

If rhabdo, then neither. I mean, they aren't bad, per-say, but they aren't actually 'good'. They're just there... and some people can find them as an eye-sore.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 01:20 PM
Algae Grower

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef12 View Post
So good or bad?
Potentially "good" fish food for the right tank mates for your shrimp - at least that was my final solution to getting rid of all the unwanted mini beasts in my shrimp tank. I absolutely love my little rasbora! They're smaller than my cherry shrimp so no issue there. If anything, shrimp hassle the fish and are certainly first in line for food! Judging by the size of food the the rasbora can eat (they sometimes need a few goes to swallow 0.8mm fish food) they 'should' be baby shrimp safe. Since introducing them to the tank, I've not seen a single worm of any sort, so just throwing this out as an option if you don't like seeing the worms.

But, so long as they're not planaria and you don't mind seeing them as part of your tank's eco system, then they should do no harm. Chemically removing them is liable to do more harm than good. Small fish to eat them up seems safest option for me.

See the video in the tank journal linked in my signature for an idea of fish vs. shrimp scale.

Bump: Potentially "good" fish food for the right tank mates for your shrimp - that was my final solution to getting rid of all the unwanted mini beasts in my shrimp tank. I absolutely love my little rasbora! They're smaller than my cherry shrimp so issue there. Judging by the size of food they can eat (they sometimes need a few goes to eat 0.8mm fish food) they 'should' be baby shrimp safe from hat I've seen. Since introducing then to the tank I've not seen a single work of any sort. Just a thought...

If they're not planaria and you don't mind seeing them as part of your tank's eco system, then they should do no harm. Chemically removing them liable to do more harm than good. Small fish to eat them up seems safest option for me.

See the video in the post linked in my signature for an idea of fish vs. shrimp scale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by en7jos; 07-28-2020 at 01:22 PM. Reason: typo
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 04:11 PM
Algae Grower

I call them "detritus worms" although that is a wide range of worms in the tank.... I do not mind them.. nothing a quick scrub or gravel vac will do. I find that tanks newly established often have them although I do see them time to time in my established tanks... many fish will pick at them so It another reason I find them perfectly fine in a tank Like others have said it is really just an eyesore...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all your help. Iím leaving them for now as the are only a few..

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode