4Likes
  • 1 Post By Blue Ridge Reef
  • 1 Post By Zoidburg
  • 2 Post By Discusluv

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
It seems that while something like a Tangerine Tiger will breed true, there is more variation in the neo breeds. Anyone have any experience advising as to which color lines are more stable than the others? I'd love to go with an Orange Sakura or Blue Dream, but understand that the Blues may result in some reds and chocolates too.

To clarify the root of the question: these shrimp are going in a heavily planted tank, so the opportunity to cull might be a bit limited.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-23-2020 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 07:40 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Reds, yellows, and oranges, in my experience. And you'll still need to cull an occasional stinker. I'd say black rose and blues have been the worst for me. I have one line of blues that is so far bucking this trend, but I'm only 6ish months into this group and not ready to call them breeding true just yet.
Discusluv likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Reds, yellows, and oranges, in my experience. And you'll still need to cull an occasional stinker. I'd say black rose and blues have been the worst for me. I have one line of blues that is so far bucking this trend, but I'm only 6ish months into this group and not ready to call them breeding true just yet.
Thank you!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 09:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Tangerine tigers you could say are like mountain lions... no matter how many mountain lions you breed together, you will only get mountain lions!

The colors of Neos on the other hand are more like labrador retrievers.... You could breed two labs of the same color together and get a variety of colors. Two black labs for example could throw black, brown and yellow offspring.

That's not an accurate representation by any means... just that, it might be a better way to look at it. Generally speaking, if you breed two shrimp together that are the same color, generally the offspring will be the same color! However, they were line bred/culled to achieve the "higher end" colors and if you don't keep up the culling, it's possible for the offspring to lose color over several generations.

I suck at breeding Neos... so I'm no help there!

However, if there's a specific color you want (i.e. blue or yellow), then see if there is an equivalent Tiger color you can choose instead. (not guaranteed apparently in some tiger colors to get that specific color in all offspring!)
Discusluv likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 11:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
My Golden -back yellows seem to be very consistent in breeding true.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
Tangerine tigers you could say are like mountain lions... no matter how many mountain lions you breed together, you will only get mountain lions!

The colors of Neos on the other hand are more like labrador retrievers.... You could breed two labs of the same color together and get a variety of colors. Two black labs for example could throw black, brown and yellow offspring.

That's not an accurate representation by any means... just that, it might be a better way to look at it. Generally speaking, if you breed two shrimp together that are the same color, generally the offspring will be the same color! However, they were line bred/culled to achieve the "higher end" colors and if you don't keep up the culling, it's possible for the offspring to lose color over several generations.

I suck at breeding Neos... so I'm no help there!

However, if there's a specific color you want (i.e. blue or yellow), then see if there is an equivalent Tiger color you can choose instead. (not guaranteed apparently in some tiger colors to get that specific color in all offspring!)
I have a OE Red tiger that is berried now, excited to see what the off-spring will look like.
Blue Ridge Reef and Zoidburg like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 10:41 PM
Algae Grower

Iíve had no luck with my golden back yellows. Iíve spent a ton of cash on them over time, and they slowly just disappear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode