• 3 Post By Blue Ridge Reef
  • 1 Post By ant0328
  • 1 Post By Zoidburg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Understanding KH for Neos

Apologies for bringing up something that many seem to have mastered, but I'm struggling with the importance of KH for neos.

No secret that KH keeps the PH stable. I get that. What I don't get is why KH seems to matter for some shrimp but not others, specifically why do neocaridina need it and not caridina?

For example, all shrimp seem to need stable parameters. Sure. But the general advice seems to be that KH is important for neocaridina but not caridina. With good aquasoil/buffering substrate, you are almost always going to have a KH of 0 and a lower PH, so it seems impossible to have any KH in a proper caridina setup. Many folks report having neos live well in a 0 KH environment (i.e., a high tech tank with aquasoil, CO2, etc.). But if neos "need" KH, how can that be the case?

Just interested in whether KH matters for neos for any reason other than PH stability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 03:18 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Caresheets are not the end all-be all is all I can say about matter. I don't see how one can conclude that a certain amount of carbonates are required for Neocaridina shrimp. I have 4 tanks with aquasoils and 0 dKH with Neos and they do as well as in my inert tanks with 2-3 dKH. Acclimating them can be tough if they come from harder water though.
Quagulator and Asteroid like this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 04:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I also had them multiply very well in KH 0 with AS and now in KH of 9-12 with Pool Filter Sand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 05:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I've had them in KH of 15 degrees and acclimated them down to a KH of 1 without any major issues, or from a soil tank with 0 degrees into a tapwater tank @ 15 degrees, no mass die offs and continued breeding exponentially.
Blue Ridge Reef and Asteroid like this.

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"
My Dirted 10 Gallon High Tech:

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 06:11 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
As long as the parameters are stable, they truly don't seem to care as long as water quality and diet are on point. I think we could put together a caresheet from the members here that would be more accurate than any of the popular ones online. Everything from temp requirements to pH to KH seem to be given unnecessary restrictions in those I've stumbled across, while aged tanks are rarely mentioned and seem to be one of the biggest keys to success.
Quagulator, Zoidburg and Asteroid like this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you all so much. This is super helpful and I wish more people were privy to this information. So much misinformation out there re dwarf shrimp keeping.
Quagulator likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 08:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If you have a tank with inert substrate (i.e. sand or gravel), then you *DO* want KH to help keep the pH stable. This may be even more important if you might be using anything that could cause pH swings - i.e. CO2.

HOWEVER, tanks with buffering substrates (i.e. substrates meant to lower pH) use acids instead to keep the pH stable and low. Adding KH into these tanks can cause unstable parameters as the substrate absorbs KH and releases acids (tannic, humic, fulvic...)

When it comes to Neocaridina, stability is recommended over chasing "ideal" parameters... unless of course the shrimp simply aren't thriving for a specific reason... i.e. GH too low, temps too high, etc.

When it comes to Caridina species... now, that'll depend on your Caridina... they could live in extremely soft water (0-3 KH, 0-3 GH) to extremely hard water. (saltwater...) Some might live in both! Depending on life stage of the shrimp. (i.e. amanos, bamboo shrimp, and?) Certain "strains" (not species, but 'type') may live "okay" in high pH water but there will be limited to no breeding and/or offspring survival unless the pH is low.

In short, there's a lot of variables!
Quagulator likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
If you have a tank with inert substrate (i.e. sand or gravel), then you *DO* want KH to help keep the pH stable. This may be even more important if you might be using anything that could cause pH swings - i.e. CO2.

HOWEVER, tanks with buffering substrates (i.e. substrates meant to lower pH) use acids instead to keep the pH stable and low. Adding KH into these tanks can cause unstable parameters as the substrate absorbs KH and releases acids (tannic, humic, fulvic...)

When it comes to Neocaridina, stability is recommended over chasing "ideal" parameters... unless of course the shrimp simply aren't thriving for a specific reason... i.e. GH too low, temps too high, etc.

When it comes to Caridina species... now, that'll depend on your Caridina... they could live in extremely soft water (0-3 KH, 0-3 GH) to extremely hard water. (saltwater...) Some might live in both! Depending on life stage of the shrimp. (i.e. amanos, bamboo shrimp, and?) Certain "strains" (not species, but 'type') may live "okay" in high pH water but there will be limited to no breeding and/or offspring survival unless the pH is low.

In short, there's a lot of variables!
Thanks! I see a lot of folks keeping neos in high tech tanks with aquasoil, which inevitably means the PH is <7. Is that acceptable for neos, assuming appropriate acclimation and maintained parameter stability? I've heard neos are more tolerant of fert dosing and that is why they are preferred in higher tech setups.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 03:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Tigers could work in high tech tanks as well as some other fancy Caridina.

But yes... Neos are considered "hardier". I've had "better luck" with Caridina (YKK to be specific) than I have had with Neos... which isn't saying much, since I just suck at keeping shrimp!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode