Help. Have green hydra... what do I do? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help. Have green hydra... what do I do?

Hi All
I’ve had my tank going for 2 months now (250 l planted, fluval stratum) Lots of baby shrimp now and snails (bladder and Malaysian trumpet) .. I just noticed green hydra all over the glass. I wiped some off yesterday, but I’ve spotted more on the plants. Think I’ve got a significant outbreak. They’re tiny, about 2-4 mm long. I also spot treated with a small amount of excel which killed a few. But there are to many.
I have been feeding baby shrimp food twice a day... so may be over feeding the tank...... I’m assuming that’s what’s started them off.
How dangerous are hydra to my shrimplets?
I’ve read that hydrogen peroxide tank treatment (1.5mls per 4.5litres of 3% H2O2) will kill the hydra but is safe for my snails and shrimp. But I’m worried that it will kill off my biofilm. I didn’t want to use anything that would affect my snails...
Any advice would be much appreciated!!!!
Louise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 08:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Bladder and *possibly* trumpet snails may survive a No Planaria/Planaria Zero treatment but if you really don't want to risk it then try the H2O2 method first.

Hydra and other 'pest' creatures do not come from "over-feeding" a tank, but over-feeding can cause a population boom of said pests. Hydra may sting/paralyze shrimp.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks. Iím going to have a go at manual removal first. And maybe spot treat the plant leaves.
Thought I could use a bit of excel. Maybe spot treat with my plant fertiliser and use some H2O2 in a small dose as a spot treatment rather than nuke my whole tank. I was wondering if the hydra could have come in with beeshrimp food sticks I just started using. I read that they can come in as eggs in foods.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 03:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I would honestly guess they probably came in via the introduction of plants... or something else from a contaminated water source - but I could be wrong.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for your help.
Iíve just spot treated the hydra with my LCA fertilizer (just used my normal dose) and 1ml of excel and they curled up and died.... just used a 1 ml syringe with a long connection and a needle on the end so I could hit them directly. It took about 2 hours and Iím sure Iíve missed a few.. Iím going to keep going over the next week or so. Iíll update you on how I go, but looks good at the moment 😀 now just gotta work out what the tiny white worms are... only seen 3 so far.. donít look like planarian..... I might try excel or fertilizer on them too......
Zoidburg likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 06:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

If not planaria, then could be rhabdocoela flatworms (short and flat), nematodes (long and squiggle in the water column) or perhaps detritus worms (usually in substrate, sometimes poke heads out - or swim through water like a snake).

Probably rhabdo and harmless. Well, all of those types should be harmless to shrimp as long as they are alive. It's just the planaria that have been seen attacking shrimp that are alive. Not all planaria may be dangerous but I don't know if anyone knows how to tell the dangerous ones apart from the harmless ones... so it's recommended to remove all of them regardless.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all your help!!
What’s the best way to remove them. As I said I’ve got lots of snails, think they’re bladder snails and some MTS.. it would be impossible to remove them all and they’re doing a great job keeping my tank clean.. I can spot them with excel (I’m not using excel in the tank usually, just thought it would work to kill the hydra) I guess, but will that work and even though I’ve only seen 4 or 5 there’s probably heaps. I don’t want to loose my biofilm as the baby shrimp will be eating that, so I haven’t gone the H2O 2 route yet. I was considering some micro fish that the local aquarium sells for nano tanks, but I don’t know if they’ll eat my baby shrimp. I’m trying to go shrimp only, but it seems like I’m going to end up with pests with no fish. My shrimp colony is quite small at the moment maybe 10 RCS (4 berried) with about 20 shrimplets and about 7 Australian ghost shrimp. Are pond snails worth a try?

Last edited by [email protected]; 07-22-2020 at 09:42 PM. Reason: More questions
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 02:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I don't know that pond snails would eat the worms.... some fish might, but they are likely to eat baby shrimp as well.

No predators often means a tank filled with less than desirable inhabitants sometimes. It's hard to get a "pest free" tank with shrimp, but it is possible! I've never tried excel on Rhabdo's so wouldn't know there.... could give it a shot and see?

Some people would say don't even bother though, as it's a sign of a normal and healthy ecosystem... only, some of these "pest" creatures would happily live in an environment that shrimp can't thrive in! So... I dunno!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode