Shrimp disappear when they get large - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Zoidburg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
So I'm a little confused. I set up my ten gallon planted aquarium and started with 8 cherry shrimp. One was berried when I brought it home. Those babies hatched and thrived. Even have a couple berried now. Two of the original 8 had a set of babies who also have thrived. Over time tho most of the original 8 vanished. I have only been seeing one come eat for a couple weeks. Now I had 2 babies who were berried and solid red, most babies were wild or red striped, and now I haven't seen them or the last original female in a couple days. Now in the few months I have this set up I have only found 2 dead shrimp. And my only known issue is low nitrogen for my plants and my gh is unknown cuz that's the only test I don't have. All other tests have been exactly where I need them. Anybody ever experienced something like this or know what may be going on cuz I am stumped. My shrimp population has grow tremendously and everything seems fine except, nitrogen deficiency in my wisteria, but have new ferts coming today. I currently have more than 40 shrimp now but the pretty red ones seem to just seem to disappear or hide constantly when they reach maturity. All the babies are constantly swimming around and eating stuff.

Seen this today. Could this be white ring of death or just rili potential?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200713_113303_1594659118079.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	900873  

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-13-2020 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 10:45 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I'm going to guess that your GH is very low. A close up photo would be better to try and diagnose but that certainly looks like the WROD. You need to invest in a GH test kit. Thing is, too HIGH of CA/MG has also been implicated in this fatal molting issue. Adults have a much harder time molting than baby shrimp do, which might explain why you are only seeing surviving shrimp on the smaller side. What's that substrate?

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That is seachum black onyx sand and I was wondering bout gh. I'm looking into ordering a test kit asap. I am getting some thrive all in one ferts today or tomorrow, will that put calcium/magnesium in water?

That is as close as I can get with my current camera otherwise it won't focus. I don't have the greatest phone..

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-13-2020 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 04:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Please make sure that you get liquid test kits as well.

Might also be a diet issue if they're getting too much protein?
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've looked into the diet and feed them accordingly. What is a good test to get? I'm having trouble finding good one
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 01:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

My guess is your big shrimp died from old age. They only live for 2 years, and if you got them big, they are already over the edge. If the population is stable and increasing, there is nothing to worry.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 02:10 PM
snails are your friend

API makes a KH/GH test that's good enough for our purposes and reasonably priced.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yep no store near me has that so I have to order it. I used some tetra 5 in one test strips I had from before, but do not fully trust. Almost killed some fish cuz it made me think my ph was super low... actual test kit said I was .8 higher than what it said and my adjustment had the ph almost 8.2 smh. Anyway the test strip said between 50 and 75 ppm. Any suggestions to possible actions? Like what can boost my gh but not kh cuz that stays a constant 6-7
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 08:08 PM
snails are your friend

You can mix your own, but Equilibrium, Salty Shrimp GH+ and several others are on the market that raise GH only.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I just started dosing thrive all in one yesterday will that help? And also noticed my ph Is up to 8.0 when it normally 7.6? Any ideas what may cause this? Change in ph was before new ferts I'm gonna check ph again tonight and see what it is at after water change and new ferts.
Also had to take filter off the aquarium for the meantime. It was not operating correctly and the flow was slow enough that baby shrimp were getting inside the filter. Could the lack of filter be the cause in ph rise?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 09:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Thrive is not likely to have enough minerals in it if you *ARE* deficient in GH. As @Blue Ridge Reef said, you can use Equilibrium (I find it messy), Salty Shrimp GH+ (cleaner), or any other product to raise GH only.

If the inhabitants of the tank are fine at the pH they are at, then *DON'T* go chasing a specific pH! You can cause more harm than good by trying to chase a specific pH!

As for why the change... I'm not sure. Lack of filter, means less O2 exchange, so if anything, I'd expect the pH to drop, not rise. I don't have any experience with Thrive and I haven't heard of it raising pH so I wouldn't know there, either.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode