• 1 Post By en7jos
  • 1 Post By en7jos
  • 2 Post By Discusluv

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Shrimp Fit, Eco Balance, etc

Interested in the opinions of anybody who has used these products that claim to "improve immune response", "probiotic", etc and whether they actually work to prevent / treat bacterial infections or other tank maladies. This is not counting other anti-bacterial treatments typically recommended such as H2O2, water change, Indian Almond Leaf, lower temperature, lower pH, etc. I don't have anything against doing those, except that I suspect they nuke or otherwise inhibit "beneficial bacteria" and other micro-organisms that help grow a biofilm, break down waste, etc.

Glasgarten Shrimp Fit
Dr Tim's Eco Balance
Azoo Vita plus
SL-Aqua Magic Powder
Vin Storm Ecological Bacteria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 08:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I have SL-Aqua Magic Powder (aka Aqualex) but did not have it when I had shrimp with possible bacterial infection... so no real comment there... sorry!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2020, 03:24 AM
Algae Grower

I recently (eventually!) got my shipment of all the Glasgarten shtimp foods - ShrimpFit+, Shrimp Baby, Bacter AE and Mineral Junkie Pearls. Significant cost was shipping so decided to buy one of each to try. I can't comment on the effectiveness of the ShrimpFit specifically, but I can say that since using these, my shrimp (RCS) and tank have never looked better. This is probably a result of a number of factors finally coming together - water parameters, fert's, and the food. I dose a different one daily, probably 5 out of 7 days, alternate between them in no particular order, but dosing way way less than recommended amount.

My micro-rasborah also love eating the powder floating around, so everyone is very happy. I put a small amount (I cut the end off a thin straw at a 45 deg angle and use that as the scoop) into a 60ml syringe, suck up tank water, shake and that squirt into tank. Some goes into the moss and subwassertan for the shrimp and the fish find what floats around in the water.

The shrimp particularly seem to like the Mineral Junkie Pearls. It's the first 'food' I've put in the tank that the shrimp have actually flocked too, and the fish hang around to clear up any bits that drift off.

So I know that this doesn't answer your question specifically, but just as a vote of confidence for the Glasgarten line-up, if that help's at all.

RCS with Mineral Junkie Pearl, with micr-rasborah loitering for scraps
Zoidburg likes this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Nice pic. That reminds me that I have Mineral Junkie but haven't fed it to this tank yet. I also have all the GG foods, but have only been using Bacter AE recently. About a year ago, I dosed Shrimp baby into a tank, but there were uneaten bits that caused water pollution. So now I am wary of food that goes everywhere. (Except Bacter AE, because those bacteria are supposed to grow and make biofilm)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 03:10 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
About a year ago, I dosed Shrimp baby into a tank, but there were uneaten bits that caused water pollution. So now I am wary of food that goes everywhere. (Except Bacter AE, because those bacteria are supposed to grow and make biofilm)
I thought the whole point of these type of very fine shrimp food is that they go everywhere though?!? I've been purposely pre-mixing in a large syringe and squirting into all the nooks and crannies of my moss, susswassertang, cholla wood, etc. Then the shrimp have something to forage for. Soon settles out of water column and shrimp appear to have been super happy since I started using them. The key is definitely not to over feed, and the amount stated on the tub is way way way too much (depending upon no. of shrimp in tank obviously).
Zoidburg likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 07:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I feed Shrimp Fit and Mineral junkie 1x weekly. When they are both gone I wont be repurchasing.

The shrimp seem to get active when add Shrimp Fit to tank.
They certainly flock to eat the Mineral Junkie.

But, neither appear to be needed, so when gone Ill just be feeding my vegetable based food with an occasional ( possibly weekly) bit of fish food as a protein source.
I dont see the purpose of AE? Why add this product long-term ( or even in the short-term for that matter) when an established tank provides this biofilm adequately naturally? Seems, to me anyways, that AE is promoted "as necessary" to hobbyists who dont want to properly "age" their tanks by waiting 6-8 weeks before adding shrimp. These shrimp food companies tend to create a "need" where there isnt one. I see newcomers often relying on it, often over- dosing it because of the improper dosing instructions on back of bottle as given, foul their tanks, and kill their shrimp.
Its a mystery to me.
Blue Ridge Reef and Zoidburg like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
I dont see the purpose of AE? Why add this product long-term ( or even in the short-term for that matter) when an established tank provides this biofilm adequately naturally?

Not to get too far off track, but...
I spent 3+ months cycling this tank with lots of lights and nutrients to get the plants to grow, so there was a lot of biofilm at the beginning. But then the shrimp ate most of it away. I don't dose fertilizers and the nitrates are always at zero. The plants are stunted and yellowing, except for the moss that is growing quickly. (Sucking up all the nutrients?) Algae hardly grows on the glass, and there is nothing that appears to be growing on the HMF sponge, so shrimp don't spend a lot of time grazing there either. The driftwood looks sparkling clean. IALs don't show signs of breaking down until 2+ months later. So therefore I think I may be low on biofilm.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode