Amano Shrimp Survival - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Amano Shrimp Survival

I was curious about the behavior / survivability of Amano shrimp, as I have never kept them before. Is it normal for them to just disappear?

My planted tank has been up about 2 months plus. It may have been too early, but I had 6 otocinclus catfish and added 10 Amano shrimp.

I didn’t quarantine the last batch of plants, so I have — I don’t know — one thousand snails as well!

Other than the first day when the Amanos ran around the tank, I haven’t seen hide nor hair of them at all! Two weeks ago, after a 40% water change, I noticed one just sitting there.

Is this normal?

The otos hide too, but sometimes school around. (See pic)

Is keeping shrimp a great deal more complicated than fish? Are there things I should be monitoring more carefully?

54 gallon corner bowfront
103 watts T5HO
Pressurized Co2 30(?) Lime Green
Temp - 78 degrees F
Amm - 0
Ni - 0
Na - 5-10ppm
PH - 6.4
dKH - 4
GH - 161.1
TDS-?
RO water from store machine
Eco-complete
Mixed Fert alternate days:
KNO3 x 3
KH2PO4 x 3
K2SO4 x 3
CSM+B x 3
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	655045A1-8F2E-4764-8D18-094D4E862B28_1594337545457.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	900757  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 02:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

They usually come out for food.... or maybe try looking at night with the lights off?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 12:38 PM
Algae Grower

I also have 10 amano and they tend to migrate around the tank to different hangout spots over time. They spend about a while one area, then they pick a new spot. It's rare I can find all 10 at once, but every now and then I can see everybody is alive and well.

One time they figured out there was an accessable area under a rock and crammed themselves in. For more than a week I only saw between 1 and 3 at a time. It actually took me days to figure out where they were, and even then I could not count or check on them - I was a bit worried! I assume they ate all the food in the hidey-hole, because they eventually came out and picked their next spot in the front center of the tank.

Keep an eye out for ammonia spikes that might indicate a death, but they are really good at hiding.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 03:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (72/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
usually when you introduce the amanos they shed and hide for a bit until they harden up again. Usually they're pretty skittish unless there's plenty of cover or food lures them out. Leave pellets in the open and they'll know to come out more often

is your tank rimless? look around the tank, everywhere, and see if you have had any jumpers. Even if you have a lid on the tank these shrimp are escape artists! I have found them dried up 10 feet away from the tank and crawling over carpet.

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you very much for the responses.

I have some slate in the tank that makes some deep, deep crevices for them to hide. I thought that they might all have perished, but then I saw that one lone shrimp out with the light on after two weeks, so there’s hope I suppose.

You mentioned “pellets.” What are those?

I have Hikari algae wafers and have put in a couple wafers for the ottos. I got these shrimp lollies, which I thought would draw the Amanos out. No luck. Although one of the flavors was cleaned to the wood overnight — I’m assuming the ottos ate it cause I saw one on it the next morning.

I guess I just need to be patient. I have not noticed an ammonia spike and my nitrates have been between 5-10ppm.

I am going to have to deal with all these snails at some point, too. I was thinking of getting a clown or one of the other loaches, but I’m assuming they’ll also eat the Amanos if indeed they are still in the tank, right? Can you buy baited snail traps or some such thing? Do all these snails degrade the tank?

Again, thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FA4480C1-9E09-4D1A-8783-95DF559A7D13_1594412998218.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	374.9 KB
ID:	900779  

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 09:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

The amanos could have also jumped ship.... if you don't find their bodies laying around, hard to say what happened to them for sure.

Loaches are not guaranteed to eat snails. You could always try leaving fresh vegetables in the tank overnight and taking out first thing in the morning.

If a snail dies, the shells will 'live on' in the tank...
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

OK, I’ll try that. Is blanched zucchini or cucumber or spinach the right vegetable?

I could drill a hole in it and use fishing line so I can pull it out easily in the morning before the lights come on.

Snail bait!

I looked around on the floor, walls, etc. The Amano shrimp were only about 3/4” when I put them into the tank.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2020, 05:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Any of those veggies ought to be fine, although organic is preferable.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2020, 08:57 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
The amanos could have also jumped ship.... if you don't find their bodies laying around, hard to say what happened to them for sure.

Loaches are not guaranteed to eat snails. You could always try leaving fresh vegetables in the tank overnight and taking out first thing in the morning.

If a snail dies, the shells will 'live on' in the tank...
Can amanos really escape that well? Like how much of a gap between the top of a tank and the water line would one need to have to not have a cover?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2020, 11:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I've not had an amano escape myself... so wouldn't know.. but have heard them crawling up the sides, crawling up via a heater cord, up through a gap caused by the filter, the airline hose....

Only shrimp I've seen bail ship on me would be a YKK... just recently discovered. The top of the tank is quite literally covered in frogbit... so it would have had to crawl through that to get out... and somehow over the rim of the tank. There is a cover, but not completely sealed due to a specimens container, the light and airline hose...
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 01:05 AM
Planted Member

I got an Amano shrimp about 6 weeks ago. I never saw it, not even once. Then just a few days ago it finally came out during the day ! I see it frequently now, & it's quite often seen munching algae ! I haven't fed it anything special, and I have recovered two successful molts, so it seems to be doing well 🦐
Zoidburg and AwwShucks like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh, that’s good news! I put ten Amanos in, so I would hate to have lost them all.

I’ll keep an eye out next water change, because that’s the last time I saw one.

I had a few snails in the vegetable I took out, but not many more than were crawling around the slate. It wasn’t exactly fly paper.

My stable temperature has been around 80 degrees lately. Is that too hot for shrimp?

Again, thank you.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 04:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

80 is on the high side for most shrimp... but amanos are hardy. If there's a big difference between tank water and new water, that could potentially stress them out though.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 11:15 PM

I put an amano in to see if it they would do okay in my tank. It took a month before I ever saw it again! I even found a molting (i really hope that amano's molt or I am going to sound absolutely retarded here) of it and assumed it was dead. A month later I was doing some trimming in my tank and it was up in the thick of the plants eating something off of the top of the water. So, it isn't abnormal to not see them for a while, at least, that is what I am seeing from the responses here and from my own experience.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just to update....

I found what looked like a dead one, kind of clear with antennae. But the next day three appeared and seem quite busy going after whatever on the slate rock. So I think that was a molted carcass. They must hide until after they molt. So far, three of ten out in the open.

I’ll see about slowly lowering the temperature from 80 to 76-78 degrees.

Thank you again for all the input.
Zoidburg likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode