RCS huddled at the side of tank barely moving - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By akio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
RCS huddled at the side of tank barely moving

Using format from another aquarium forum, but this is a bit of an emergency so I'm double posting here.

What is the water volume of the tank? ~45g
How long has the tank been running? ~6months
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What is the water temperature? 24C
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
~7 red rili shrimp
mini ramshorn snails (pests)
Maintenance
How often do you change the water? every week
How much of the water do you change? 15%
What do you use to treat your water? Seachem Equilibrium, Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Mostly just water

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? yes
What do you use to test the water? API master test kit + API GH/KH test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 6.6
GH: 3
KH: 0-1

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Once every 3 days
How much do you feed your fish? Tiny amount
What brand of food do you feed your fish? New Life Spectrum Invertebrate
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? no

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 3-4 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? today
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Shrimp are huddling together in a specific area (side of the tank where moss is)
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? appearance has not changed. Behavior is extremely lethargic

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
This morning I noticed about 3 of my shrimp were VERY close to one another near a pile of moss. This has now increased to the majority (3 adults and at least 1 baby) huddled together almost in a train-like format or on top of each other right at the edge of the tank. They act almost as if they're scared of something and are barely moving/grazing. The only change I've made to the tank was adding two large plants three days ago. Specifically, the plants were Alternanthera - Reineckii "pink" and Echinodorus - Ozelot Green. Prior to adding, I dosed both in a 5% bleach solution to remove any unwanted pests for about 1 minute. I then added the two plants to another bleach-free bucket filled with water and dosed Prime to remove any bleach. I let the plants soak for an hour in this bucket. I then repeated the bleach-free Prime dosed bucket step once more. I then added the plants to the tank. The shrimp seemed fine for the next two days. I've recently checked all parameters including temperature, and everything seems to be normal. Could this issue be due to any remaining traces of bleach on the plants? Looking back, I didn't wash off the plants after the two Prime-dosed bucket steps... Help is appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 05:19 AM
Algae Grower

Maybe dose the tank with Prime too just to be sure? There are instructions on the bottle for dose of 5x regular dose to detoxify nitrite in an emergency, so maybe worth adding more than normal in case there was any bleach left on the plants? Worth doing whilst you wait for better informed replies from the experts I think....

Good luck, James

P.S. Worth posting photos if you can - picture worth a 1000 words etc.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've just added 1 dose of Prime. I would have thought any traces of bleach would have been shown soon after adding the plants, but it's been at least more than 24h since adding, so I'm questioning whether it even is because of bleach. Adding photos, although not sure how much info it'll add. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200707_214756_1594186128637.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	5.60 MB
ID:	900711  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200707_214942_1594186141244.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	5.40 MB
ID:	900713  

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 06:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I'd recommend removing the heater. Not necessary.

Any chance that there were any sprays or chemicals used around the house recently? (just another thing to rule out)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes I've been considering removing the heater, I think I'll do that. As for chemicals, none that I can think of. There's a lid on the tank anyways so I'd say it's pretty safe to rule that one out.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 01:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Chemicals or air pollutants can still get in a tank via an air stone or through the opening for the filter. If nothing in your home, if you have any close neighbors?

Would recommend starting some water changes at the least, doing them every 1-2 days in case it's something in the water now.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well no weird smells coming from neighbors, and its separate households. It would have to have been something unscented that came through an open window. Yes, I'll be doing a large water change today and see if it helps.

Hey everyone just an update. I did a 50% WC last night. Shrimp have shown perhaps a slight improvement. No weird mounting, although they are still a bit lethargic. This afternoon I noticed that my filter was running quite slow. I did some maintenance on it and the flow seems to have improved. Hopefully this may have been the issue, although probably not as I would think any issues caused by insufficient filtering would have shown up on the water parameter tests...
Zoidburg likes this.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-10-2020 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode