• 1 Post By en7jos
  • 1 Post By en7jos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Berried RCS looking a bit pale

Dear All, advice please!

I have a berried RCS shrimp that is looking rather pale and just wondering if she needs something or if this is normal? She's been carrying eggs for about 2 weeks and seems otherwise completely normal and healthy (out and about, swimming, eating and generally like all the others). But I've noticed that her colour has been fading the last week or so and she now looks much paler / pinker than the other shrimp. Any thoughts or suggestions please?

It's weekly water change day tomorrow - should I do a w/c or maybe miss it in case this is molting related? this is my first shrimp pregnancy, so any help / advice appreciated!

You can hopefully see in lower picture that she is much paler / pinker than the others. The paleness is mostly in a wide stripe down her back, sides are still pretty red. It's more noticeable in person that it comes across in photos.

Many thanks, James

Tank info, in case useful: 10 litre nano tank with 6 RCS and 9 very small rasbora. Weekly 10-20% water changes, temp 28.0C, pH 6.8-7.0, 7 dGH, 2dKH, 250-260 TDS (if pen correct), Ammonia, Nitrite and Phosphate all 0, Nitrate 0-5 ppm, using soft tap water with Equilibrium to raise GH from 4 to 7, daily fertilising using Seachem recommended dosing (all products except Advance, stopped Excel about 1 week ago), no C02, Amazonia substrate, lots of Christmas moss over stones and floating salvinia (sp?), cholla wood and ball of subwassertang. Tank about 2 months old, stable, fully cycled for 1.5 months. Dosed "No planaria" 1 week back at recommended dose over 2 days (missed 3rd day) to clear hydra ahead of shrimplet arrival. Plants, shrimp and fish otherwise all seem happy and healthy.

Last edited by en7jos; 07-03-2020 at 06:03 AM. Reason: Added tank info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 06:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

She looks fine to me! She's not "fading".... if anything, she's coloring "up"!!!

That would be the 'racing stripe'.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That's good to know @Zoidburg, thanks.

She has very definitely faded from the deeper red colour all over she was 2 weeks or so back, like the others. But if this is her gaining her "racing stripe" then fantastic. Phew!

Thanks

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sadly the little pale shrimp didn't make it after all, not sure why. Seemed happy and healthy and feeding as normal, but spotted her wedged in moss last night and on closer inspection, she just crumbled away when i moved the moss :'(

Siphoned out the remains and just looking at the eggs, they don't seem very well developed and rather small still considering she had been carrying them for about 3 weeks. They don't really seem to have grown at all since day one. Any thoughts, suggestions, advice please?

Photo below shows the eggs. They were always bright green, almost dayglo, from the start. I know scale is hard to judge here, but this was taken on macro mode on my phone through a magnifying glass. The tiny bubbles on the dish were not visible to the naked eye. The eggs seem very small, do you think? Possible that they were unfertilised maybe?

Thanks, James

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 04:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Sorry, but those are not eggs. Apologies for not pointing it out sooner. Wasn't looking that closely at the images.

Recent research indicates it is Cladogonium ogishimae, however there is no effective treatment to rid your tank of it since results vary based on user...

https://aquariumbreeder.com/ellobiop...n-shrimp-tank/
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Eeeek, yikes!!!! :'(

You know what? I thought there was something not quite right here with this shrimp, but couldn't find anything that matched. Thanks for the link above @Zoibdurg - very obviously that's what this little shrimp had. Lot's more reading up to do this evening..... Thankfully other shrimp all look super fit and healthy, although who knows what lurks unseen. Will kick things of with a hydrogen peroxide treatment now as everything to hand and familiar with doing this. Also stocked up on Paraguard and MetroPlex (recommended alternative to Paraguard for invertebrates according to labels) at LFS on way home, so will decide best course of action after I've had chance to read up.

Thanks again for the pointer and the above link. Had a gut feeling something wasn't right which was what made me post the pic of the "eggs".

I've looked at the remaining shrimp and I can't see any sign of the 'green fungus', so fingers crossed it was just the one affected. The tank is not crowded and I think I managed to siphon out all remains of the dead shrimp before anyone decided to take a nibble, so I'm hopeful. But realistically I'm thinking quite possible that other shrimp are affected too, so better to treat just in case.

So I did a hydrogen peroxide treatment of the tank this afternoon. That was simple, everything all ready to go and I've been meaning to do it for a week or so anyway as a bit of hair algae is starting on the moss closest to the light. Everyone came out to play - the shrimp do seem to enjoy this for some reason.

Started using Seachem ParaGuard this evening at 50% recommended dose and everyone seems ok with that so far. So will monitor tomorrow and maybe continue with that daily for 4 or 5 days if no signs of stress.

Also added Melafix and Pimafix as had them to hand and thought they might also help.

Fingers crossed...
Zoidburg likes this.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-17-2020 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 09:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I can tell you for sure that the pale coloration was not due to the parasite, but rather, genetics aka natural coloration.

Hopefully, that's the only shrimp that has or will get the algae parasite.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
I can tell you for sure that the pale coloration was not due to the parasite, but rather, genetics aka natural coloration.
Thanks, that's useful to know. First step at being able to spot problems is definitely learning what is "normal"!

Some other useful links I came across, in case anyone else is interested...

Treatment with methylene blue:
https://amateurshrimper.blogspot.com...-known-as.html

Treatment journal:
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfis...ournal.400247/

Previous thread on this forum with possible treatment options:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8...l#post11166501
Zoidburg likes this.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-17-2020 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

Tags
berried, rcs, shrimp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode