Help with Neocardina shrimp with fluval stratum substrate please - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Zoidburg
  • 1 Post By Blue Ridge Reef
  • 1 Post By Blue Ridge Reef

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help with Neocardina shrimp with fluval stratum substrate please

Hi there
Iím new to planted tanks and after doing heaps of research, but not enough, I set up my new 250 litre tank with fluval stratum shrimp substrate... itís been cycled (Took a month) with some fish food and then snails and now Iíve added my red cherry shrimp and some ghost shrimp. Theyíve been in for about about 2 weeks now and look fine, 3 berried RC females, eating well, plants growing well. Now I discover Iíve got the wrong water parameters for my shrimp. The guy in the aquarium store said not to worry theyíd be fine, but I want them to thrive. Anyway Iím trying to alter my parameters to make it better for my shrimp. Iíve been adding Seachem alkaline buffer about 1/2 teaspoon per day (slowly over the whole day)This seems to Keep my pH at 6.6. It gradually drifts back to 6.4 overnight. And Iíve put a feeding block in with Ca and Mg in it.
KH 0 .. (I get a blue colour if I add one drop to 15mls Of my tank water, so Iíd say my kH is 0.3... just guessing)
GH is 4
TDS is 170
Nitrates 5, ammonia 0 and nitrites 0
Iím using 1/2 ml of Seachem flourish micronutrients every second day.
I initially was using Seachem excel, but I stopped as I was concerned about using it with shrimp in the tank.
Anyway Iíve gone and set up with the wrong substrate for Neocardina....
Iím not sure if Iím doing the correct thing. My aim was to keep using the buffer over a period of months until the substrate has lost its buffering capacity.
I was considering using something in my filter like coral to buffer it up, but the guy in the shop said it was better to use the alkaline buffer so I could know exactly what I was doing.
Problem is Iím not sure if Iím doing the correct thing...
Any help would be great.
Cheers Louise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 08:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

If it's buffering, your best bet is to use RO water with a GH only mineral so that you don't keep having fluctuating water parameters. No more alkaline buffer.

If it's not buffering, then not necessary to use RO water or avoid KH.....

I would recommend adding GH to the tank to get to about 7 though... unless you know what the shrimp were raised in?
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 02:11 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Agree with Zoidburg. Neos will thrive on aqua soils, the issue is acclimating them over to it. If it's keeping your KH <1, bee shrimp would be an option as well. Not a fan of Excel and shrimp, and don't ever suggest fighting buffering soils by adding what they are designed to remove.
Zoidburg likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 08:18 PM
Algae Grower

So to recap your shrimp are thriving and the actual expert you talked to said everything is okay, but you're worried for some reason? I would just let things go. Tinkering with the tank over and over and adding things is going to cause more damage than some low PH ever will
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi
Thanks for all your help. Iím in Sydney Australia and I bought shrimp at 3 different shops to try and get some mix of genetics. I was tampering because I was reading online and thought Iíd done the wrong thing. The aquarium shops had them all in gravel tanks, but I donít know what they were bred in.
They seem to be thriving at the moment, so Iíll leave the water alone. Iíve already ordered some mineral shrimp GH/kH from the USA and Iíll use RO water for my next water change. Iím aiming at 10% every week.
Thanks for all your help again!
Cheers Louise

Bump: When I added them I dripped water from the tank in over about 6 hours... is that long enough?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 02:06 AM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
More than long enough. I would use a GH buffer only though, not GH/KH. Your soil is designed to remove KH and will not last as long.
Zoidburg likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode