• 1 Post By Discusluv
  • 1 Post By Blue Ridge Reef
  • 1 Post By Discusluv

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Berried Orange- Eye Red Tiger

Very excited that I noticed a berried female OERT this morning! I am attaching 2 videos because both offer better views of certain shrimp. There is one shrimp that is smaller and has really great red-colored stripes-- much deeper than the larger Tigers.

These guys seem to be much healthier than the Royal OEBT that I have struggled to keep.

Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 02:32 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Oh yeah, you're about to have shrimplets! Hope these do great for you, as you know my luck with OEBTs has been about the same. They mostly live, occasionally pop out a random baby, but won't populate the tank. Tangerine tigers and supers both did much better for me, and in community tanks! Those reds are very pretty. Curious to see if there's variation among the babies.
Discusluv likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Im wondering if they start out redder in the stripes like that smaller one and as they age if their red stripes get less bright?
I am surprised at how big they get. They appear larger than the OERBT.

@somewhatshocked
@Zoidburg

Do you know? Do the stripes fade in color with age?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 08:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
That's actually not something I've heard of or come across, being as I don't have striped tigers and all... I do know that Caridina tend to color up faster than Neos do... and that color can be based on genetics, diet and stress levels.

I suspect though that that little one may be a "super red", as in, it will grow up to be redder than the parents? Time will tell!
Blue Ridge Reef and Discusluv like this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
That's actually not something I've heard of or come across, being as I don't have striped tigers and all... I do know that Caridina tend to color up faster than Neos do... and that color can be based on genetics, diet and stress levels.

I suspect though that that little one may be a "super red", as in, it will grow up to be redder than the parents? Time will tell!
Thank you! This little guy came to me brighter red than the others and has stayed brighter. In person it is so much nicer than the others. Not that the others aren't nice, but the red on that little one is something entirely!
Its fascinating to me all the little differences that these different varieties of shrimp express. You find yourself having lots of questions that come up as you notice these traits that you just have to settle for "wait and see".
Just part of the fascination of shrimp-keeping, I guess.
Zoidburg likes this.

Amy
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 10:49 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
My Tigers have always thrown myriad different stripes. Some thick, some dark, some light. They just tend to develop/mature as they age but I don't think I've ever seen a drastic difference from juvenile stage to adulthood.

Only ones that haven't thrown major stripe variations for me are "Super" Tigers. But there's still some slight variation even among those. Regular old Supers are my favorite because they're not as popular in the hobby.

Will be interesting to see how your reds breed out and develop.
Discusluv likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
My Tigers have always thrown myriad different stripes. Some thick, some dark, some light. They just tend to develop/mature as they age but I don't think I've ever seen a drastic difference from juvenile stage to adulthood.

Only ones that haven't thrown major stripe variations for me are "Super" Tigers. But there's still some slight variation even among those. Regular old Supers are my favorite because they're not as popular in the hobby.

Will be interesting to see how your reds breed out and develop.
@Blue Ridge Reef just got some Super tigers! Cant wait to see them.

Amy
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 02:36 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I'll shoot a video next water change. 20 of them in that tank and I rarely see them except for then. I expect they'll settle in and get comfortable after a while, but they're laying low most of the time.
Discusluv likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I'll shoot a video next water change. 20 of them in that tank and I rarely see them except for then. I expect they'll settle in and get comfortable after a while, but they're laying low most of the time.
That would be great!

My green jade shrimp come today! Excited to see them.

Amy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode