Is this a baby neocaridina shrimp? Or something else? Planaria maybe? - The Planted Tank Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is this a baby neocaridina shrimp? Or something else? Planaria maybe?

I have a blue velvet 10 gallon planted tank. I recently added some monte carlo and since then I've had pest snails and white worms on the glass. I thought they might be planaria, so I dosed Panacur, but they are still there.

Now I am also seeing these bigger (maybe 4 mm) grey/white things swimming around quickly. I assumed they are larger planaria, but I managed to catch one and it has legs and antenna, so now I am not sure. Could it be baby shrimp?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200624_183833_1593100840522.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	900233  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200624_183847_1593100885111.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	900235  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 04:10 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Amphipod of some sort, looks like Gammarus.
Bandit1200 likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 07:25 PM
Algae Grower

I'd like a bunch of those. Clean-up crew plus great fish treats.

Tanks 1-3: LowTech 100 gals/ea - FAUNA: Albino Ancistrus, Red Ancistrus, L333 King Tiger Plecos, Green Neons, Cories, Male Guppies, Neocaridina Shrimp. FLORA: Anubias, Bucephilandra, Dwarf Sag, dwarf Bolbitis, Crypts, frogbit.
Tank 4: LowTech 33 gals - FAUNA: Ember Tetras, Sparkling Gouramis, Albino Ancistrus, Neocaridina Shrimp. FLORA: Aubias, Vals, Crypts, frogbit.
Future Tank 5: LowTech # gals Office Nano - FAUNA: Neocaridina Shrimp FLORA: Anubias, Bucephilandra, Java Moss, Frogbit

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Amphipod of some sort, looks like Gammarus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryMac View Post
I'd like a bunch of those. Clean-up crew plus great fish treats.
Thanks for the ID! I think ypu are right.

This is a shrimp only tank. Will they hurt the shrimp? I have a couple that are berried, so I don't want to risk taking them out to get rid of the gammarus if i don't have to.

Also are the small white worms on the glass their larvae then and not planaria? Can't get a good picture of those.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 07:44 PM
snails are your friend

Gammarus shouldn't bother shrimp. White worms on the glass could be harmless or planaria, hard to say without a photo. Planaria have triangle shaped heads, most flatworms do not.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 08:41 PM
Algae Grower

Itís a daphnia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globia10 View Post
I have a blue velvet 10 gallon planted tank. I recently added some monte carlo and since then I've had pest snails and white worms on the glass. I thought they might be planaria, so I dosed Panacur, but they are still there.

Now I am also seeing these bigger (maybe 4 mm) grey/white things swimming around quickly. I assumed they are larger planaria, but I managed to catch one and it has legs and antenna, so now I am not sure. Could it be baby shrimp?
I recently had the same situation. Uggg. Use planeria zero and that will wipe out the planeria and hydra and other non desirables. I hate buying plants for that reason. If you donít bleach them first, you will get hit hikers. The thing in the bowl looks like a daphnia to me. I got one of those too. Freaked me out since it did not move like a shrimp. It is a crustacean so planeria zero will not get rid of that. If you donít like them....I donít....you need to catch them....sigh

Hope this helps.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 08:58 PM
snails are your friend

Far too large to be Daphnia, and wrong shape.

Daphnia:

Gammarus:

For what it's worth, most appropriately sized fish will make short work of either.
deeda likes this.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 08:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

It's a gammarus and No Planaria/Planaria Zero is not guaranteed to wipe out the "white worms" - if they are not planaria. If they are detritus worms or rhabdocoela flatworms, then the product might not do anything to them.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 03:00 PM
Algae Grower

So what small fish can you add to a shrimp only tank to eat the detritus worms or other non desirables without eating your shrimp?

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Far too large to be Daphnia, and wrong shape.

Daphnia:

Gammarus:

For what it's worth, most appropriately sized fish will make short work of either.
Just saying....I donít want to meet the guammus........every time I think I have seen it all...something else shows up. Whatís up with that? Lol
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 03:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Possible fishes could include kuhli loaches *or* pygmy cories... might be others. Not guaranteed they *wont* eat shrimp, but many people do keep both species with shrimp and have thriving colonies.

Might be a bit odd but I kind of think gammarus are cute! lol They're like underwater roly polies! Never dealt with them myself though... but I've seen them!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 03:48 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
Gammarus/scuds, if they get large enough, can harm and eat shrimp - especially right after a molt or if they're juveniles with softer shells.

I've also had them catch Endler fry and eat them.

If you don't have any young fish or shrimp to worry about, they shouldn't be much of a concern.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 04:57 PM
Algae Grower

Creatures

Since setting up my tank....about 6 weeks....and adding plants......various creatures have popped up. Is this normal? Or is it just an unfortunate reality that comes with live plants? And for shrimp breeding in particular......how do you keep detritus worms under control without starving your tank? It seems that powdered foods are best for new shrimplettes but I feel like providing food and handling worms are a battle.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 01:12 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
Yes, it's normal. It's part of having a healthy (as healthy as humans can maintain) ecosystem in a glass box.

Detritus worms, daphnia explosions and all that are generally only going to be around in large numbers when your tank is young. Give it a couple months and their populations will balance out or disappear all together.

If you have a well-established tank (say, 6 months+)? Baby and juvenile shrimp will have all the food they need to survive. Shrimplet-specific foods are really only something to use if you know you need them or when you've been shrimping long enough to try something new. And even then, you're feeding such tiny amounts that foods usually don't create any issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimpini View Post
Since setting up my tank....about 6 weeks....and adding plants......various creatures have popped up. Is this normal? Or is it just an unfortunate reality that comes with live plants? And for shrimp breeding in particular......how do you keep detritus worms under control without starving your tank? It seems that powdered foods are best for new shrimplettes but I feel like providing food and handling worms are a battle.
Shrimpini likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
Possible fishes could include kuhli loaches *or* pygmy cories... might be others. Not guaranteed they *wont* eat shrimp, but many people do keep both species with shrimp and have thriving colonies.

Might be a bit odd but I kind of think gammarus are cute! lol They're like underwater roly polies! Never dealt with them myself though... but I've seen them!
Yes, I don't mind their looks so much, as I can barely make out the features. I just want my shrimp and potential baby shrimp to be safe! I've been just catching the big ones put whenever possible, until I can decide what to do about them. I'm setting up another 10 gallon, so I will hold off on fish until that is ready for them long term.

Regarding the white worms, I used panacur, but they did not go away, so at this point I think they are detritus worms. As far as I know, they don't harm shrimp.

Sidenote: This was my first post on the forum and everyone's help has been MUCH appreciated!
Zoidburg likes this.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 09:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I guess a good question might be... are the worms kind of short and fat/flat? And really small?

Or long and slender? And kind of... well... long?

Short, fat/flat and small points to rhabdocoela flatworms. Not always harmed by treatment to get rid of planaria.

Long, slender, and... once again, long... that could be detritus (swims like a snake if in water column), nematodes (squiggles...) or possibly some other worm.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode