What types of fish? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What types of fish?

I just upgraded to a 90 gal tank and want to add more than the 8 tetras and bn pleco that I currently have. What types of fish do you currently have in aquariums with your shrimp?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 10:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What type of tetras do you have? I recommend the following species, the only ones that I haven't kept are the pencilfish:
  • Otocinclus catfish
  • Any of the dwarf corydoras (C. hastatus, pygmaeus, or habrosus)
  • The smaller pencilfish (Nannostomus mortenthaleri)
  • Celestial Pearl Danios (Danio margaritatus)
  • Goldring Danios (Danio tinwini)

So many fish/plants/inverts to keep, not enough aquaria.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I currently have 2 Green neon Tetras, and 6 (maybe) glow light tetras, they’re black’ish with a solid red stripe. I was looking at adding some Longfin Gold Zebra Danio‘s, Longfin Leapord Danio’s, And Chocolate Black Neon Tetra’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 04:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYstyle View Post
I currently have 2 Green neon Tetras, and 6 (maybe) glow light tetras, they’re black’ish with a solid red stripe. I was looking at adding some Longfin Gold Zebra Danio‘s, Longfin Leapord Danio’s, And Chocolate Black Neon Tetra’s.

Increase your fish schools first. Bring the green neon tetra school size up to 8-12 (you have a 90 gallon!), and the same with the maybe glowlight tetras. A picture can help us identify what they are, since the only glowlight tetras I’ve ever kept (Hemigrammus erythrozonus) have had a gold line with a pale body.

If you’re ok with a relatively small shrimp population, those fish should be fine, but know that they will all avidly hunt down shrimplets.

So many fish/plants/inverts to keep, not enough aquaria.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 04:29 PM
Algae Grower

I have a 100gal tank with swords, ancistrus, a few guppies, and 100s of shrimp. No doubt the tiniest of shrimp that come-out in the open get eaten but with lots of hidey-hides their population keeps growing. The bigger ones even fight over larger sinking food with the 3" swords and 4+" ancistrus, kinda funny.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The red ones are the mister tetras. I realize that some of the smaller shrimp will become meals. They had plenty of hiding spots in my 40, I just need my plants to start filling in, and there should be plenty of hiding spots in my 90.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 04:48 PM
Algae Grower

I've got a 10 gallon with a healthy colony of RCS and 10 harlequin rasboras. The rasboras will eat smaller shrimplets that are 1-2mm in size if given the chance, but any bigger than that and they leave them alone. Given the size of your tank and with enough places to hide (like a carpet of plants or some dense stem plants), you can establish and maintain a healthy colony. I usually sell 15-20 sub-adult to adult sized shrimp from my colony once a month, and I started with only 11 (added the rasboras a couple of weeks after the shrimp). In my tank, adult RCS freely swim in the water column, sometimes swimming right through the rasboras' shoal with no issue.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode