• 3 Post By Blue Ridge Reef
  • 2 Post By somewhatshocked
  • 1 Post By somewhatshocked

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Shrimp food

I'm looking to find the best diet to keep my RCS on. Any help on what to feed and how often would be helpful. Also what vegetables are best for them? I wanna keep my shrimp happy so they keep breeding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 02:46 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I feed a lot of shrimp foods from @somewhatshocked from here on the forums. I do not feed a ton of fresh veggies, though sometimes when cutting a zucchini or such, I'll take a tiny peeling and blanch it in boiling water for a few seconds and drop that in. I have Ancistrus cats in many of my tanks and this makes feeding submerged veggies pretty much impossible. But I feed a lot of things they don't like of can't get to, including small pelleted foods, soy based "snow" foods, and leaf litter from oak leaves from my backyard. Dwarf shrimp are very good at foraging algae and biofilm in the tank and these are tiny things with even tinier stomachs so need very little in the way of added food. Best of luck!
Zoidburg and Discusluv like this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 03:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
+1-- I feed my shrimp foods from @somewhatshocked.

I also give catalpa leaves, blanched organic spinach
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 03:45 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Complete Veggie and Veggie Sticks are my shrimp's personal favorites, I've done quite a few taste tests! Seasonal Carrot and Walnut seem to last the longest, so I'll throw those in if I'm going to be gone for a few days (well, if that ever happens again).
Zoidburg, Discusluv and blackpearl like this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 09:13 PM
Algae Grower

Do you blanch your carrot or vegetables before putting them in your tank? Or do you just wash and throw it in?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

All I've ever done when feeding vegetables is boil them till they soft.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 03:05 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
Appreciate the kind words but all you really need is leaf litter or spinach - ideally pesticide-free.

If spinach isn't something you currently eat as a regular part of your diet, you could get a bit and roll each leaf up into a tiny ball. Then freeze them. That will break down the cell walls and allow the spinach to be more 'tender' for shrimp. Similar to blanching it but without the effort.

I usually just drop a tiny frozen spinach ball or two into my shrimp tanks without bothering to thaw or defrost.

Alder cones, catappa leaves, oak leaves, mulberry leaves, spinach, zucchini, stinging nettle - all good things for shrimp.
Discusluv and LarryMac like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well I have bout 100 catappa trees behind my house. Is the green leaves better or the dead ones? Also do the catappa leaves lower ph or am I thinking of almond leaves? I will try the spinach balls too my wife and her mother plant a garden every year so it I can get some that is 100% pesticides free.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 03:21 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
Dried catappa leaves are ideal. Tannins (it'd take a lot) from them could create a more acidic or blackwater environment, but a few leaves isn't going to be anything to worry about.

I prefer dried because they hold up better under water and last a long time. Any time I've had to be away for a week or so, I usually put a catappa leaf in each of my shrimp tanks. Acts as a vacation feeder.

But honestly, I pretty much have them in my tanks all the time.
Discusluv likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode