2Likes
  • 1 Post By RogueZ
  • 1 Post By Asteroid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2020, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Shrimp acting shy

So I'm new to the whole shrimp/planted aquarium. Recently I set up a 10 gallon planted for shrimp going on 3 months ago. During the cycling stage had an algae bloom so I decided to get a few otos since my shrimp have been breeding. However once i added the otos l, almost all shrimp activity has ceased. They now hide more often especially my big fire red females. This is day 3 of the otos being in the aquarium and almost all algae on the glass is gone. Water test showed all levels ok. Nitrate and nitrite at 0 and ammonia between 0-0.25 with ph at 7.5? Is this normal shrimp behavior acclimating to new tank mates or should I consider removing otos? Any information helps since I'm still new to this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2020, 06:54 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueZ View Post
So I'm new to the whole shrimp/planted aquarium. Recently I set up a 10 gallon planted for shrimp going on 3 months ago. During the cycling stage had an algae bloom so I decided to get a few otos since my shrimp have been breeding. However once i added the otos l, almost all shrimp activity has ceased. They now hide more often especially my big fire red females. This is day 3 of the otos being in the aquarium and almost all algae on the glass is gone. Water test showed all levels ok. Nitrate and nitrite at 0 and ammonia between 0-0.25 with ph at 7.5? Is this normal shrimp behavior acclimating to new tank mates or should I consider removing otos? Any information helps since I'm still new to this.
I thought I noticed my shrimp doing the same thing when I added harlequin rasboras to my tank. I looked it up and everything pointed to creating more hiding spots to help the shrimp feel safer. I got a few small ceramic tubes and some alder cones and it helped a bit, but over time, as my carpet grew in and hiding places became more common, the shrimp became less shy. Now they roam all over the tank, and sometimes swim right through the rasboras as if they aren't even there.

Try creating a few more hiding places, maybe dim the lights a bit if possible, but besides that, just give them some time.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2020, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you. I appreciate your feed back. I was asking for my wife she was concerned bout decreased activity since the addition of the otos. I thought it was most likely an acclamation period they were going through since 75% of the shrimp population is less than a month old. I was hoping that is what's going on since everything was going smoothly until the fish arrived. Even had 3 sets of baby shrimp hatch and most plants have thrived except some anarchis densa and hornwort that melted and died on me, recently replaced with water wisteria.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2020, 08:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Sounds normal, as fish are natural hunters of shrimp... even if otos don't eat shrimp, shrimp don't know that!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2020, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Will the oto interfere with the shrimp breeding cuz I hope to keep breeding them for my other tanks eventually?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 08:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I'd have to say that's up to the shrimps to decide... it may, it may not....
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 12:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueZ View Post
Will the oto interfere with the shrimp breeding cuz I hope to keep breeding them for my other tanks eventually?
I have otos, tetras in with my RCS. I started with 6 and now have easily over 100, so for me the answer is no.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update: shrimp were just adjusting. Noticed normal activity the last 2 days and even seen one of my original females berried!! 😄
Zoidburg likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 10:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

This is how much my RCS are intimidated by my Otos.

Zoidburg likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That's awesome mine still move away from them if they move to quickly but I just came home and one of my 5 has passed... strange since everyone else seems to be acting just fine... 😢

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode