• 2 Post By somewhatshocked
  • 1 Post By somewhatshocked

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Pure Red Line PRL

Hi,

So I am about to start a planted tank. Mostly plants and aquasoil.
Want to add some shrimp in a few weeks. Doing research got me to PRLs. Did not hear about them when I was keeping shrimp a few years ago. (I mostly had royal blue tigers and gold back yellows and green babaultis back then, but I gave them all away to friends and stepped out of the aquarium hobby).

Which would you consider to be the best PRL lines? How do I get them? What should I consider?
Saw somewhere a claim PRLs need less soft water than crystal reds. Is it correct?

thanks
Discusluv likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 03:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aupti View Post
Hi,

So I am about to start a planted tank. Mostly plants and aquasoil.
Want to add some shrimp in a few weeks. Doing research got me to PRLs. Did not hear about them when I was keeping shrimp a few years ago. (I mostly had royal blue tigers and gold back yellows and green babaultis back then, but I gave them all away to friends and stepped out of the aquarium hobby).

Which would you consider to be the best PRL lines? How do I get them? What should I consider?
Saw somewhere a claim PRLs need less soft water than crystal reds. Is it correct?

thanks
@somewhatshocked can help you with this. He has a lot of experience with PRL.

I have both PRL and PBL shrimp. They are from Vin bloodline. They are SS grade. My particular shrimp are surely not the highest grade... But, does Vin offer the best PRL line? I have no clue. I am not experienced enough to know that.

I can tell you where I got mine through a PM. But, @somewhatshocked will know more vendors and give a clearer picture on quality.
Zoidburg likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 07:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

It's correct that PRL are generally kept in softer, more acidic water than CRS are. I can't say who the best vendor is for them, but I can say that you want to make sure you use RO/DI water with a good remineralizer. Better yet, figure out who you are buying your shrimp from and try to use the same minerals as them for the best chance of success starting off! Match their tank parameters as closely as possible.
Discusluv likes this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 12:16 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
There is no "best" line. Because contrary to what most will publicly admit, they refresh their bloodlines regularly with PRLs from other breeders. It's necessary for health. I've kept pure lines for more than a decade and have added to my bloodlines several times.

Your best bet is to get some offspring from another hobbyist. Paying high prices is silly (I said it, shrimp breeders, y'all are crazy for charing $100 for a single aquarium shrimp!) and unnecessary.

If I were you, I'd spend a few months figuring out which hobbyists keep what and then find out if/when they'll have offspring. Check the For Sale section here. Post a thread in the Want to Buy section. But really - spent a while figuring it out. Don't rush into it.
Zoidburg and Discusluv like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 04:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
[QUOTE=somewhatshocked;11347289] Paying high prices is silly (I said it, shrimp breeders, y'all are crazy for charing $100 for a single aquarium shrimp!) and unnecessary.

QUOTE]
The highest Ive paid is $15.00 ea-- and that was like really hard.

That is my threshold, for sure.

Amy
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 09:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Paying high prices is silly (I said it, shrimp breeders, y'all are crazy for charing $100 for a single aquarium shrimp!) and unnecessary.

ONLY a $100?!?!?!? Gah! I know someone who has paid $500... for a single shrimp... and they got two! That wasn't even retail price!!! LOL

I honestly haven't spent more than $5, I think, for a shrimp... and even that was difficult to do! I'd have a hard time even spending $10 for *ONE* shrimp... unless it's the blood red fire shrimp... (saltwater) And *ONLY* if I could successfully breed em! Otherwise... I'm good! lol
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 10:53 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
It's obscene!

I mentioned that price point because there are a couple shrimp guys who now sell their Pure Reds for $100 and claim they're something fancy, rare and special on their websites. Reality? They got them from me. Right here on the forum. Shrimp that I sell for $1-$2 when I have them available. (This is not a sales post. I don't have shrimp to sell. I will not have shrimp to sell any time soon - or even this year. Just speaking as a longtime shrimp nerd and breeder.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
ONLY a $100?!?!?!? Gah! I know someone who has paid $500... for a single shrimp... and they got two! That wasn't even retail price!!! LOL
Zoidburg likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode