• 1 Post By Zoidburg
  • 1 Post By Zoidburg
  • 1 Post By Discusluv

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2020, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Is this Planaria?

I have a hard time recognizing if these are Planaria. They are so small and even with bifocals Im half blind. To me they look rounded and white. Maybe you can take a look and help me distinguish them?

I did try treating the tank with Planaria Zero. This is when I doubted my own identification of them. Seems like they are unaffected by my dosing tank.

Thank you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2020, 09:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I see possible rhabdoela flatworms and possible scuds or seed shrimp..... no planaria. Planaria would get quite a bit larger than that.

For ID... planaria vs shrimp

https://fishlab.com/planaria/

http://fishtankprojects.com/wp-conte...m-aquarium.jpg
Discusluv likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2020, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
I see possible rhabdoela flatworms and possible scuds or seed shrimp..... no planaria. Planaria would get quite a bit larger than that.

For ID... planaria vs shrimp

https://fishlab.com/planaria/

http://fishtankprojects.com/wp-conte...m-aquarium.jpg
Oh! excellent.

Is this from overfeeding?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2020, 10:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Absolutely not!

If your tank doesn't have any pests in it, you can't get pests from over-feeding. That said, over-feeding a tank *may* increase the chances of said pests over-producing once they are already there! But again, there could be an infestation without any over-feeding at all... or any feeding for that matter. It really varies from tank to tank.

Cutting down on feeding *might* help. More water changes while trying to suck up the extra critters and 'gravel vacuuming' the tank may help. Adding fish that would eat them may help. (but fish might eat shrimp/baby shrimp)
Discusluv likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2020, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
Absolutely not!

If your tank doesn't have any pests in it, you can't get pests from over-feeding. That said, over-feeding a tank *may* increase the chances of said pests over-producing once they are already there! But again, there could be an infestation without any over-feeding at all... or any feeding for that matter. It really varies from tank to tank.

Cutting down on feeding *might* help. More water changes while trying to suck up the extra critters and 'gravel vacuuming' the tank may help. Adding fish that would eat them may help. (but fish might eat shrimp/baby shrimp)

Thank you @Zoidburg

Ill try to reign them in a bit via a few water changes/vacumming over the course of the coming week. Im already not feeding but very little because I was overfeeding. Ive been trying to be extra vigilant in that regard. I was also changing too much water, now I think Im not changing enough. Its difficult to find that sweet spot. (Sigh)
The shrimp appear to be doing well, however. I have had no deaths among the neos or the blue tigers. Thats good.

Thanks again.
Zoidburg likes this.

Amy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode