Cherry Shrimp and Mosquito Fish? - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By ohaple
  • 2 Post By ohaple

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2020, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Cherry Shrimp and Mosquito Fish?

I have a tank inhabited by 6 Cherry Shrimps (about 3 females and 3 males), 2 Rabbit Snails (plus a micro baby that just hatched), and 2 Mosquito fish (and some of their recent fry). One of my females is getting ready for her eggs to hatch and has receded into a dark corner by my filter. Although the mosquito fish are non-aggressive and don't bother my shrimp, they have eaten dead shrimp and even their own fry. With the eggs of my female shrimp preparing to hatch, I'm afraid my mosquito fish will eat the fry of my shrimp. My tank has many places to hide and is well supplied with steady algae growth and high protein substances, so the fry shouldn't have trouble surviving if the mosquito fish will not eat them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 06:22 PM
Planted Member

If the mosquito fish are Gambusia sp. they will eat the shrimp that they can find and fit in their mouths. They are known for eating insects and larvae in ponds. Some shrimplets are likely to survive if you have dense plants like moss or guppy grass for them to hide in. If it is important to save the shrimplets you will need to move the fish or the mother shrimp before they hatch. I prefer not to move them because it is unneeded stress and the shrimp may drop her eggs. Another option is a mesh breeder box for the mother shrimp. Her shrimp will get trapped in the box if you get one with fine enough mesh. You can then allow them to grow a bit in the breeder box before letting them loose.

How large is your tank? As livebearers, your fish will reproduce quickly and as their numbers grow the shrimp will be at more risk.

I would probably just leave them be and accept that many shrimplets will get eaten. Gambusia are a little large to keep with shrimp without casualties. Many of us keep shrimp with phoenix rasbora, celestial pearl danio, dwarf cories, ember tetras, etc. because they are so small that adult shrimp are not at risk. Some of my female shrimp are almost as large as my female CPDs. A nice school of micro-fish is more visually impressive than you might initially think and it adds nice scale to your tank.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

40g High-Tech Planted Nano-Species Community Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2.5g Low-Tech Shrimp Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the response, @ohaple! My tank is small, it is a 3 gallon, and it has several places to hide for the shrimp. However, what makes me hesitant about taking the fish out is since my tank is so small, it is hard to do so without messing up the tank and potentially scaring my pregnant shrimp. (I realized earlier this morning one of my other females is pregnant as well.)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 09:13 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
If I had pregnant shrimp and Gambusia in a nano, I'd go through an awful lot of trouble to remove the fish. You're going to have a hard time keeping any fry in a 3 gallon with those two hungry predators. They're just too keen a fish, good eyesight, and always hunting.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 09:14 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudusRex View Post
Thanks for the response, @ohaple! My tank is small, it is a 3 gallon, and it has several places to hide for the shrimp. However, what makes me hesitant about taking the fish out is since my tank is so small, it is hard to do so without messing up the tank and potentially scaring my pregnant shrimp. (I realized earlier this morning one of my other females is pregnant as well.)
I think most members here will agree that 3 gallons is too small for the fish you have, and likely for fish at all. For instance I feel that my 2.5gallon tank is at capacity with 10-20 shrimp only. I believe your fish get to be 3 inches in size, which is way too much load on that small tank. My recommendation would be to take all fish out and let it just be a nice shrimp/snail tank.

You can usually give the fish to a store or sell them to a local hobbiest so they go to a good home. Alternatively you might have better luck in a 20 gallon tank and moving all inhabitants to that tank.
Zoidburg and HairyNoseWombat like this.

40g High-Tech Planted Nano-Species Community Tank:

2.5g Low-Tech Shrimp Tank:
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

You are very right. I am looking for a 20g tank as of right now and I have yet to find a good one that is not a kit. I will remove the fish and either keep it as a shrimp/snail tank, or add a small, passive fish like a microfish or a panda cory (something like that).
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 05:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Or better yet.... no fish. Panda cory would be a bad idea and they really do best in schools.

Have you checked Craigslist? Seeing 10g in pet section, 30g in for sale section... or if on FB, could always try local fish and pet groups?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode