• 1 Post By Zoidburg
  • 1 Post By Blue Ridge Reef
  • 1 Post By Johntheskier

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
opinions of tourmaline for shrimp

I was curious about other shrimp keeper's thoughts, opinions and experiences of tourmaline.

The Devil's in the Details
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 06:14 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I would expect most gemstones to be inert, but would test it just to be safe. Place some in an open container of tap water and use another with just water for a control. After 24 hours, if KH, pH, and TDS are the same, you should be fine. I've never tried or heard of anyone trying them in a shrimp tank, though. If any metals or so forth were to leech, I'd expect this to be a bigger problem with shrimp than it would would for fish.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 05:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

There might be a shrimp mineral ball called "tourmaline"?
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 02:56 PM
snails are your friend

Oh boy, I'm just enough of a rock hound to get myself in trouble! What an odd choice to name a product. Now that the question is cleared up, I tried some brand of mineral balls marketed for shrimp many moons ago. They slowly dissolve and purport to add minerals to the diet and water. Perhaps they do if something is deficient. When I ran out I never got more and never saw a need to. I won't go so far as to call them snake oil, but there seem to be an awful lot of products marketed for our hobby that at best do no harm. Unless I was seeing molting issues or some reason to believe I needed to increase minerals, I would avoid variables. Anything added to the tank is going to change the tank water form the source water used for water changes. I try to avoid changes in parameters in a shrimp tank.
Kubla likes this.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I found tourmaline balls on Ebay when I went looking for cheap Indian Almond Leaves. They were sold by people selling IAL , as a general mineral supplement for shrimp and other soft water fish as well as for snails and crayfish. After reading Blue Ridge Reefs reply to my question I looked up tourmaline and discovered the gem tourmaline which dose not appear to have any benefit to shrimp. I did find mk breed life balls which look exactly like the tourmaline balls that I originally found. I am just getting into shrimp a little deeper and I am exploring what all of the options are.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 04:11 PM
snails are your friend

The options are nearly endless if you mean what all products are available on the market for shrimp keeping. As far as what is really beneficial, let alone required, that number drops pretty substantially. Lots of people keep Neocaridina shrimp just fine with dechlorinated tap water and a little fish food.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That's good because I like easy. I don't want to buy stupid crap that I do not need.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 05:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

My water is too soft for shrimp and I have to use minerals.... if I'm using minerals, I might as well use RO water!

So that's what I do.

You might want to consider finding out what parameters you are working with, including GH and KH and see if you can get in touch with any local shrimpers to see what their experiences are keeping shrimp. (that actually didn't work out well for me...)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My H2O out of the tap is terrible and really inconsistent so I use ro/di and remineralize for my planted tank as well as my shrimp tank. I used Shrimp Mineral KH/GH+ to get KH-3 GH -6 which matched the parameters of the online shop that I got my shrimp from. I just feel that if I'm going to drop $150 on 25 tiny shrimp I want to give them every chance at survival that I can-hence the IAL.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode