Salty Shrimp--GH or GH/KH+ - The Planted Tank Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Salty Shrimp--GH or GH/KH+

I've been researching for about 3 hours now trying to figure out which one I should go with. I'm wanting caradina shrimp, which would lean toward the GH+, but I plan on running CO2 as well and I'm using BDBS. Everything I've found about running CO2 with Salty Shrimp, the person also has buffering substrate so they're recommended to get the GH+. If they have inert substrate, they don't seem to use CO2 in entities I've found discussing the topic.

Would using CO2 make it necessary to have the GH/KH+ to prevent things swinging too wildly when the CO2 turns on and off, or would the GH+ be fine? Or should I get the GH+ and get a separate KH boost so I can keep the KH lower than the mix would give me?

I feel like I understand just enough to get myself in trouble...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 01:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

It might help to know.... are you planning on keeping tigers or some other fancy shrimp?

With BDBS, I would recommend going with the GH/KH and tiger shrimp.

I would recommend looking at the journals/threads made by @clownplanted and @natemcnutty of the two members I can think of off the top of my head which essentially have a similar/same type of setup that you are interested in achieving.
natemcnutty likes this.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
It might help to know.... are you planning on keeping tigers or some other fancy shrimp?

With BDBS, I would recommend going with the GH/KH and tiger shrimp.

I would recommend looking at the journals/threads made by @clownplanted and @natemcnutty of the two members I can think of off the top of my head which essentially have a similar/same type of setup that you are interested in achieving.

That would make sense.

I was shooting for Black Crystals, honestly, but still researching. Tigers are a maybe. Was looking at where the caridinas overlap with the neos and thinking Black Crystals and maybe some Rilis of an an yet undetermined variety, along with some Kubotai Rasboras. Not looking to seriously breed, just my tap water is not suitable for softer water critters.

Thank you! I'll look at the journals you mentioned.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 05:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

If you go with low end black crystals, you may have better luck than high end black crystals. (ie PBL)

Might be a little tricky keeping them and Neos in the same tank as you generally want to gear the tank towards the more sensitive species... but you are doing this with sand and CO2 which means you have a greater chance of harming the inhabitants than not if you don't dial in everything right... and even then, there's no guarantee that they'll breed, thrive or grow.

Tigers do tend to be more forgiving than some of the 'fancier' shrimp and there is a black variety...
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 08:29 AM

SaltyShrimp

I just started using SaltyShrimp - Shrimp Mineral GH/KH+. i had an ammonia spike right after adding this to my tank to raise the ph from 6.9 to 7.0, is this spike temporary and why? My ph went up fine from 6.9 to 7.0 but so did my ammonia. Its a new cycled tank. Does this product have an effect on ammonia/nitrate levels or have an effect on an ammonia/nitrate meeter? Right after using a tiny bit of this, my Ammonia meeter started showing high ammonia.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 10:13 AM
Algae Grower

What is BDBS?

The Devil's in the Details
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 02:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

No, SS will not effect ammonia, nitrites or nitrates. Maybe the tank wasn't finished cycling and changing the parameters caused the spike?

BDBS - Black Diamond Blasting Sand
GrampsGrunge likes this.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
If you go with low end black crystals, you may have better luck than high end black crystals. (ie PBL)

Might be a little tricky keeping them and Neos in the same tank as you generally want to gear the tank towards the more sensitive species... but you are doing this with sand and CO2 which means you have a greater chance of harming the inhabitants than not if you don't dial in everything right... and even then, there's no guarantee that they'll breed, thrive or grow.

Tigers do tend to be more forgiving than some of the 'fancier' shrimp and there is a black variety...
Fair point. I'll look into the tigers more.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 02:37 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylSoftpaws View Post
I was shooting for Black Crystals.
I would use a GH only supplement on those. Since moving my own bees to RO with 0 dKH, they've been much easier to keep and breed. If wanting any substantial level of carbonate hardness, look into tigers or Neos. For what it's worth, the Neos I put in my acid water bee tanks have done just fine.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 03:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
No, SS will not effect ammonia, nitrites or nitrates. Maybe the tank wasn't finished cycling and changing the parameters caused the spike?

BDBS - Black Diamond Blasting Sand

It's a fair indication of an unfinished nitrogen cycle, especially if the water was pretty soft low < KH. Nitrobacters need a bit of carbonates to grow, if the initial cycle was done with lightly KH water, you can have an incomplete cycle.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I would use a GH only supplement on those. Since moving my own bees to RO with 0 dKH, they've been much easier to keep and breed. If wanting any substantial level of carbonate hardness, look into tigers or Neos. For what it's worth, the Neos I put in my acid water bee tanks have done just fine.
Good to know. I've been eyeing the tangerine tigers today while I was supposed to be working, so I may wind up going with them and maybe the Black Carbon Rilis-- my LFS actually carries those.

If I'm using CO2, the lack of GH won't cause issues? That's my main concern is that without it buffering, it'll cause too many swings when the CO2 turns on and off. Hence why I'm reevaluating my stocking choice.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 03:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

From my understanding the KH controls the PH swings not the GH. If your worried about the PH swings then you need the KH to help stabilize.

Are you using RO water or tap water? What parameters if tap? Sorry if I missed it previously.

Bump: Also try and have your water pre mixed to the proper parameters a day or so before doing water change. This helps keep parameter swings to a minimum.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 06:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

@Blue Ridge Reef and @Quint - it's about using RO water with inert sand.....

Plus a Caridina species

Plus CO2

What would be better for the tank? GH only minerals? Thus nothing to buffer the pH? (remember, inert substrate, not a buffering substrate)

Or GH/KH minerals? So there would be *some* buffering? And less swing in pH with CO2?
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 01:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@Zoidburg Gotcha. Would think in that case definitely GH/KH minerals, makes sense to have a little something to help with the PH swings.

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
@Zoidburg Gotcha. Would think in that case definitely GH/KH minerals, makes sense to have a little something to help with the PH swings.
Would it be better to do the SS GH+ and a separate KH buffer to control exactly how much instead of relying of the ratio in the blend? Do they make separate KH buffers?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode