Ramshorns & MTS are suffering but Shrimp & Daphnia are ok??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ramshorns & MTS are suffering but Shrimp & Daphnia are ok???

The tank is a

- 10gal heavily planted w/ val, dwarf sag, & giant duckweed
- agaronite substrate
- Stocked with least killi's, MTS, ramshorns, cherry shrimp, & some daphnia surviving in the substrate
- I used to dose PPS Pro daily but have backed off since this issue
- I typically do a 50% water change and trim monthly with hard water from my well.

Everything in this tank has been healthy for over a year since setup but over the last month the MTS have nearly died out and the ramshorns numbers are dropping. The MTS I do find alive are always held up in their shells. Shrimp and fish are acting normal.

I'm looking at test kits but don't even know what to look for that would cause this. This particular MTS colony is important to me and I want to save it. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 03:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
what are you feeding the snails and shrimp? maybe there's not enough to feed the snails and the population is maxing out

if you're not seeing an impact on the shrimp then I wouldn't bee too worried.

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Atm the tank gets .2-tsp of hatched baby brine in the morning, .1-tsp of northfin fry food in the evening, and about once a week or so I'll drop in some northfin kelp pellets. I'm don't think is a lack of food issue, when I feed the ramshorns don't come running they stay held up in their shells. Most recent photo attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200426_211555_1589420776795.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	3.10 MB
ID:	898203  

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 01:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

I've had similar experiences and have found that feeding them (ramshorns, in my case), once a week is fine, with a calcium-rich food helps maintain and grow the population. There may not be enough periphyton, excess food, detritus, etc. for them. The problem becomes trying to prevent the fish from eating the food. So, what I do is to use a snail trap, which is nothing more than a feeder, of this type: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. For food, I use this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1, but any similar food that is high in calcium would work. Some people use blanched vegetables such as spinach, but I've found these to make a mess and are hard to control.

If it is not a food issue, is your pH above about 6.5? I've noticed that my ramshorns shells will deteriorate somewhere below that point. Has anything been introduced that contains a surge in copper (water pipes or medicine)?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode