4Likes
  • 2 Post By Zoidburg
  • 2 Post By Boffer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Amano Shrimp And Water Change?

Hi think I made a mistake, bought 5 amano shrimp, and will put them in my Quarantine tank, and will come over to my 350 l tank after 4 weeks, but read afterwards that you only can change 15% water every 14 days, the problem is the aquarium I am filling up with fish, becomes a 350 l Community aquarium where I have been recommended to change 30-50% water a week when it is stocked with fish, what is your experience about changing water with Amano shrimp?

My thought was that maybe I can hold the nitrate down by my Pothos and lucky bamboo and my biohome ultimate media, which all take away the nitrate, then maybe I can settle whit 15% water change every 14 days, but have heard that your fish are more exposed to diseases when changing so little water, do not know if whats right, do you guys know?

Also i have seen that you have to measure TDS and put something called Salty Shrimp Bee Shrimp Mineral GH + in the water and use Reverse Osmosis System, is what necessary?

My spec :

Tank:
350 liters.

Water:
Kh : 18
GH : 18
Ph 8
Ammonia : 0
Nitrit : 0
Nitrat : 10

Temperature:
25 C

CO2:
No co2

Lighting:
JUWEL RIO 350 LED

Filtration:
1 - EX 1200 Plus 4,5 Kg biohome ultimate
1 - EX 1200 Plus 2 Kg biohome ultimate
-------------------------------------------------------------

Quarantine tank:
50 liters.

Water:
Kh : 18
GH : 18
Ph 8
Ammonia : 0
Nitrit : 0
Nitrat : 15

Temperature:
25 C

CO2:
No co2

Lighting:
JUWEL RIO 350 LED

Filtration:
1 - EX 1200 Plus 4 Kg biohome ultimate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 02:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

The 10-15% water change is recommended for a shrimp tank where they do not create so much waste so fewer and smaller water changes are fine, and in some cases, necessary as some shrimp cannot handle large water changes. (not a species thing, but a tank thing)

Amanos are hardy shrimp (if you end up with amanos... there's also false amanos) so shouldn't have issues with larger water changes.

RO and minerals are - once again, recommended for a shrimp tank. More specifically, when you want to keep sensitive species and your tap isn't close to the recommendations and/or you want to rule out any contaminates from tap so you know exactly what's going into the tank. Amanos can handle just about any parameters without issues. That said, it would still be recommended to acclimate them to the water parameters of your tank.

I think my biggest questions would be if the fish would be passive enough to leave the shrimp alone and if there's enough hiding spaces for the shrimp to get away from the fish if they need to. If you get a mix of males and females, you *WILL* end up with amano babies (zoe) which will become fish food...
Asteroid and Boffer like this.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
The 10-15% water change is recommended for a shrimp tank where they do not create so much waste so fewer and smaller water changes are fine, and in some cases, necessary as some shrimp cannot handle large water changes. (not a species thing, but a tank thing)

Amanos are hardy shrimp (if you end up with amanos... there's also false amanos) so shouldn't have issues with larger water changes.

RO and minerals are - once again, recommended for a shrimp tank. More specifically, when you want to keep sensitive species and your tap isn't close to the recommendations and/or you want to rule out any contaminates from tap so you know exactly what's going into the tank. Amanos can handle just about any parameters without issues. That said, it would still be recommended to acclimate them to the water parameters of your tank.

I think my biggest questions would be if the fish would be passive enough to leave the shrimp alone and if there's enough hiding spaces for the shrimp to get away from the fish if they need to. If you get a mix of males and females, you *WILL* end up with amano babies (zoe) which will become fish food...
Thanks for the answer, good to know that I can make large water change without problems whit amano
I just got 5 amanos today whit the mail, they all alive and i drip acclimatet them in 30 min, then i put them in my quarantine tank, they are hiding, I've only seen two at the time out, so it's difficult to say if they are all ok because I have so many hiding places, but time will say if they all the live when I'm going to move them over to my main tank, in 4 weeks. I hope they will be able to eat some of my brown algae on my Christmas moss.
shou and Zoidburg like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode