1Likes
  • 1 Post By Muscleguy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Ras
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Snailheads needed to explain this tom barr quote

I was doing a little searching on how to keep snails in acidic soft water and found this quote

"All FW mollusk have a thin protective layer that prevents their shells from dissolving.
If you damage the layer, they will dissolve.

If not, they do fine, the Nerites I've found in FL came from pH's of 5.0 and no measurable GH.

They had plenty of them and they where 50miles from the sea.

Regards,
Tom Barr"
https://barrreport.com/threads/snail...ic-water.4029/

This baffled me. Can anyone explain this in a little more detail? I would also like to hear from people that keep snails (for more than a few years) in soft acidic water as I'm curious about gh and ph levels relative to long term health of snails. I have red racer nerites, MTS and red ramshorns and would like to keep their shells healthy while keeping my sensitive soft water fish happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 04:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ras View Post
I was doing a little searching on how to keep snails in acidic soft water and found this quote

"All FW mollusk have a thin protective layer that prevents their shells from dissolving.

If not, they do fine, the Nerites I've found in FL came from pH's of 5.0 and no measurable GH.

Regards,
Tom Barr"

This baffled me. Can anyone explain this in a little more detail? I would also like to hear from people that keep snails (for more than a few years) in soft acidic water as I'm curious about gh and ph levels relative to long term health of snails. I have red racer nerites, MTS and red ramshorns and would like to keep their shells healthy while keeping my sensitive soft water fish happy.
Cant you ask him directly for more clarity on barrreport? If he doesn't frequent there often, he is several times weekly posting on the Sacramento Aquarium Society page on Facebook.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Ras
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ras View Post

Regards,
Tom Barr"

Cant you ask him directly for more clarity on barrreport? If he doesn't frequent there often, he is several times weekly posting on the Sacramento Aquarium Society page on Facebook.
I dont have accounts on any of those nor the time to do it from my phone at the moment. Any info greatly appreciated or if someone could get me a link to his plantedtank acc or email.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 08:12 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have ramshorns in my 10G blackwater they get really big in there, their shells look a little bleached but are otherwise intact. They breed but the sidthimunki loaches ensure almost none of the little ones grow up so I have to occasionally put some from the other tanks in there. But they are the biggest ramshorns out of all the tanks. It has an adult ancistrus cat as well so the snails have to find the algae she can't reach or isn't interested in. In tanks with no loaches or cats the snails do all the algae control and don't get so big.
Ras likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode