Milk/porcelain/bacterial disease in my recently purchased snowballs/blackroses?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Exclamation Milk/porcelain/bacterial disease in my recently purchased snowballs/blackroses??

Hi,

In mid-Februrary, I received 8 male snowball and 2 male black rose shrimp from a hobbyist turned seller. I was setting up a "bachelor pad" in a one gallon tank. I had done this 6 years ago with blue pearls and had no problems til they died of old age. It turns out 3 of the above were actually girls and were put in a heavily planted bowl I have had up for over a year.
The main tank had been cycled for a month and contains ramshorn and pond snails. It is heavily planted in back with mostly moss, nana petite, micro sword, and dwarf sag. The substrate is petco's "black sand." I use spring water from the store as I have a water softener. It is an open top tank so gets about 20 oz. of top off during the week every week and and 20 oz. water change every two weeks. I feed them 2-3 times a week with Hikari shrimp food and crushed Crabs Natural Food Rings (German food for crustaceans) along with occasional cucumber which they really don't like. Everything is eaten in a couple of hours bc the snails love the food too. I have cuttle bone and almond leaf in both aquariums. The ph is 7.4, kh is 3 and gh is 5. Others are negligible.
The shrimp were molting often and easily (I saw a couple of them) and were very active. Most of the male snowballs were transparent but one or two were sligthly milky transparent, which is normal.
About mid-April I did find one snowball male at the end of a bad molt and he died. Last week I found another on his back several hours after feeding while he was fine at feeding time and for hours after it. There were other shrimp around so he may have been moved by them. That night the black rose disappeared too.
Last night, one of the girls who was re-homed to the bowl had been acting quiet all day. It was close to molting time for her so I kept an eye on her and she seemed to be unusually white (she was opaquish transparent originally). Her stomach area was barely visible she was so largely white. She even dropped off from hanging from the frogbit root and landed on her side and righted herself. It seemed like she was not using her back legs as much and would stick her swimmerets out straight for minutes at a time. I isolated her from the other girls and she died during the night.
I googled the heck out of the above diseases and got nothing. It was my understanding that if you didn't encounter these problems at the start, you should be fine when it comes to colony health. Does anyone know which disease it is and what, if anything, can be done? I searched the archives on here and didn't find anything, not even in Shrimp FAQs. Thanks.

Last edited by Koi Kameon; 05-05-2020 at 08:43 PM. Reason: error in numbers quoted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 09:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
It could easily be bacterial/muscle necrosis disease, although I would also worry about molting issues between the diet and water parameters. Molting issues in adult shrimp would not necessarily be immediate, although it has been a few months since you received them so maybe not.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode