Cherry shrimp problems! Need help - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation Cherry shrimp problems! Need help

Hi, I am new to this forum.
I recently purchased some cherry shrimp locally and I have them in a 1 gallon tank(for now). One of them is in the middle of molting but seems to be dead. I know they can look dead when they molt but this one seems actually dead and he's out in the open.

Here is a photo of the molting shrimp and a water test strip which I just used.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11_x...vkEB0eIFT/view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IRG...P_8RpvKgM/view

Please help! Would like to know if the water perameters look good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

By the way, do these URL's work?
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 09:08 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvertGuy View Post
By the way, do these URL's work?
These urls do not work, it goes to a link where you must request access to view

I have had failed molts in pristine water condition but more often that not it has to do with what you are feeding them (not enough protein) or what the gh is

At least I can grow Algae
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My water parameters are:
gH = 200 ppm
kH = 110 ppm
pH = 7.4
Nitrite = 20 ppm
Nitrate = 0-0.5
Chlorine = 0

I am feeding them TetraMin tropical flakes and blanched zucchini
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 10:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Hopefully you got the numbers for nitrite and nitrate mixed up because if you have 20ppm nitrites you have a problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 10:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
What is your ammonia reading?

How long has this vase been set up before adding shrimp?

Amy
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I haven't tested for ammonia, but I do 25% water changes 1 to 2 times a week. I did mix up the nitrites and nitrates when I listed my water perameters. I currently have them in a 1 gallon betta bowl with a filter and air pump. I did cycle the tank before putting the shrimp in using bacteria from my cycled goldfish tank filter. They get indirect sunlight because I have them on a stand by a north facing window and they get direct sunlight for about 5 minutes a day. I have java moss and a marimo mossball and Top Fin white gravel.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 09:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

How did you acclimate the shrimps to the bowl?

Are these adult shrimp or juveniles?

Diet *might* be a bit high in protein... might want to source some algae/vegetable based foods (read ingredients! many "algae" foods are algae infused! not algae based!)
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Currently there are 6 adults and one juvenile tho I haven't seen the juvenile for quite a while. I feed them flakes about 3 times a week and the rest of the time they eat algae or plant matter. I acclimated them by setting them in the water of their new tank for about 30 min. I then added about 3 tbsp of tank water to their bag every 15 minutes for 1 hour before dumping them in.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 04:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Okay, with that information, I would recommend flakes once a week and algae/vegetable foods twice a week.

Hard to say if they were acclimated well or not without knowing the parameters of the bag vs the tank as you do want them as close as possible for the least amount of stress. That said, some people do swear by the "plop and drop" method... aka straight into tank without acclimating. Not recommended to dump the water they came in into your own tank though - usually better to net them out.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, thanks. Just one more question. I just tested the water and everything was good except the gh. The gh was at about 225 ppm as far as I could tell. Is that the reason for my shrimps deaths?
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 02:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Your GH is ~11-12 based on those tests... which aren't completely accurate. It's higher than many people recommend, but some have kept them in higher GH ranges... (18-24 ish?)

Adult shrimp do not acclimate as well to different water parameters as juvenile shrimp do.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 04:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

This might be a case of the tank's small size and the frequent water changes. I am keeping a 1.8 gallon hex with some wild types inside and I keep it covered so to keep the water evaporation loss low I do 25% every other month.

Since it's filled with Java Fern I use their slowing growth rates to judge the need for upcoming water changes. You might seal the top of the tank to retain the water and change it less often. keep the water change chemical parameters as close to the same as the tank's.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I lost another one this morning. I took out 20% of the water and put back a mixture of bottled spring water and dechlorinated tap water.
60% spring water. 40% dechlorinated tap water.

This is the dechlorinator I use.
https://www.petsmart.ca/fish/food-an...ner-17548.html

After this water change I will not do any more for a while. I can't seal it up however because I need to feed them the flakes and zucchini I blanched.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 06:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvertGuy View Post
I lost another one this morning. I took out 20% of the water and put back a mixture of bottled spring water and dechlorinated tap water.
60% spring water. 40% dechlorinated tap water.

This is the dechlorinator I use.
https://www.petsmart.ca/fish/food-an...ner-17548.html

After this water change I will not do any more for a while. I can't seal it up however because I need to feed them the flakes and zucchini I blanched.

Do you have an idea of what the bottled spring water's chemical breakdown is? Is this Sierra Springs or some other well sourced bottled water? How about your own tap water? Could your house's plumbing be leaching copper into the tap water?

P.S. I should have said cover. My 1.8 gallon hex isn't 'sealed', it has a thin, clear plastic bakery container top from Safeway that I've trimmed the flat part out of, and it just lays over the rim of the hex tank effectively trapping in some humidity but not 'sealing' it tightly.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

Last edited by GrampsGrunge; 05-06-2020 at 06:26 PM. Reason: ....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode