Blood Mary grade - The Planted Tank Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2020, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Blood Mary grade

I am trying to select the best Blood Mary line to breed. I bought some Blood Mary, but when I receive it, they have slightly different intense color and coverage. I'm not sure what is the highest grade of Blood Mary shrimp.

From the pictures:

Between, 1 and 2, which one is better?

Between 3 and 4, which one is better?

Between 5 and 6, which one is better?

Which one do you think the best out of that 6 shrimps?

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200430_212718_1588296789452.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	293.4 KB
ID:	897555  

Name:	20200430_212652_1588296806123.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	897557  

Name:	20200430_212511_1588296867580.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	897559  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2020, 07:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I would probably go for 4, 5 and 1 myself, as I enjoy how the bright reds appear to be rubies glowing in the light, but someone else may prefer the opposite.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2020, 08:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Its hard for me to tell due to the pictures. Really need some clear closeup side shots IMHO. Just looking at them 3 and 4 both look good, plus the one doing a head stand in that photo. Pretty much from what I have scene any solid coloring (not necessarily opaqu) with the red going thru the legs are good. Some really like that red with black backgrounds that pop up sometimes but not sure if that plays into any official rating system (not that there is one).

Not sure of your experience level but if you just got these as long as they are all the same type in the tank I would just let em breed and start culling the youngsters and go from there. All the ones you have look to be sufficient grade to get good young ones out of. Just dont let anything in the tank that can crossbreed like some chocolates for example. Ya will get a bunch of wild types eventually if you do that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2020, 09:21 PM
Algae Grower

my experience with BMs is they are unpredictable, my lovely solid red shrimp produced the odd half wild looking cull that ive been throwing into my cpd/chili tank where they in turn have populated it with a hoard of bright polished red offspring. Good luck in the lottery
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2020, 09:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

What's the main difference between Bloody mary and Sakura?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2020, 09:36 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
BMs come from the chocolate line, Sakura from the red cherry line. BMs are supposed to have solid (red) shells and Sakura translucent shells and their color is in the tissue. But the couple of BMs I got from Discusluv that survived my CO2 accident have white molts, so I question some of this.
Asteroid likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2020, 10:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
BMs come from the chocolate line, Sakura from the red cherry line. BMs are supposed to have solid (red) shells and Sakura translucent shells and their color is in the tissue. But the couple of BMs I got from Discusluv that survived my CO2 accident have white molts, so I question some of this.
Thanks for explaining that. So many things are questionable in the hobby. I'm far from a shrimp expert, but I can't tell the difference between the BMs pictured and my Sakura. They were sold to me as Sakura to Fire Red grade.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2020, 03:00 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (31/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
BMs are supposed to have solid (red) shells and Sakura translucent shells and their color is in the tissue.
I think you accidently have the two shrimps switched around in the text. Blood Mary shrimps are the ones with translucent shells and red tissue.

VICTOR PIMP #53 SGT-500-40-4F-2S-DK
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2020, 12:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
When I first heard of Bloody Mary, it was described to me just like @Blue Ridge Reef first explained. But I think that was bad info from all I've seen since. Bloody Mary's are still from the chocolate line, but not opaque. I have some Blue Diamond shrimp (a chocolate line) that produce the occasional Black, Chocolate, Rilli and glowing red Bloody Mary. Their shells appear clear when backlit but their saddles aren't quite as easily seen as Sakuras. There are also different grades of Bloody Mary that look like bright ruby vs darker ruby but the appearance of the glow is there for both.

The opaque shell is found in PFRs or Painted Fire Reds. They have the appearance of being covered in paint from their opaque shells giving them the "Painted" name. I think the misidentifications early on just came from people mixing them up. In all fairness, Bloody Mary isn't the best name to describe these because an actual Bloody Mary Drink color looks more like a PFR. BM should've been named Ruby Shrimp by their appearance IMO but too late now. There was also talk of Rostrum length being an identifier but I think that's been disproven as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
Thanks for explaining that. So many things are questionable in the hobby. I'm far from a shrimp expert, but I can't tell the difference between the BMs pictured and my Sakura. They were sold to me as Sakura to Fire Red grade.
BM look like Fire Red in most pictures. The Glow is hard to see in the pics and is more apparent in person. BM look almost illuminated. If you were to keep culling your Fire Reds for deep red color you'd eventually have PFR. And Sakura will refine into Fire Reds, but BM wouldn't come from these lines and crossing them (BM w/ other reds) wouldn't be good for advancing the red trait
Blue Ridge Reef and Zoidburg like this.

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Last edited by KayakJimW; 05-02-2020 at 12:26 PM. Reason: more rambles
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2020, 12:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakJimW View Post
BM look like Fire Red in most pictures. The Glow is hard to see in the pics and is more apparent in person. BM look almost illuminated. If you were to keep culling your Fire Reds for deep red color you'd eventually have PFR. And Sakura will refine into Fire Reds, but BM wouldn't come from these lines and crossing them (BM w/ other reds) wouldn't be good for advancing the red trait
Thanks for that @KayakJimW. I also saw this on the net that says there's a physical difference. Aren't they technically the same species.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2020, 12:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
They are. I don't know what's up exactly with the rostrum difference and I assume it's another genetic trait that can be bred for. On purpose or not... For example I've seen BM with long Rostrum and cherries with short. Sharon Emery @sharonemery1 was one of the first in the states to work on Bloody Marys when they were newly imported and hers have long rostrums

There's a pic of hers on post #20 here https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8...ifference.html

She's not on here much but I see her on Shrimp Spot, aquabid, ebay, etc and all long rostrums in her pics
Zoidburg likes this.

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2020, 01:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

So the rostrum does not appear to be a defining character of BMs, but the translucency is. As you mentioned back lighting is going to be key to really seeing that glowing affect. Then again lighting usually is everything. I agree the BM name is not fitting at all.
Zoidburg likes this.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2020, 05:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If you had a bloody mary next to a good fire red or even a painted fire red, the difference between them would be night and day - more so with back lighting.

In this thread, the first picture labeled 4 and 3 probably shows the coloring the best where-as the others really do appear more like fire reds. It doesn't help when some of the cherry shrimp are also translucent. They are indeed the same shrimp species though.... at least to our knowledge.

Pictures just rarely ever do them justice.
Asteroid likes this.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2020, 06:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

very true about the pics. Here's two of mine from the same batch that look very different.

Blue Ridge Reef and Zoidburg like this.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2020, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you guys. The picture may not be good for 1,2,5,6. If it is not Blood Mary, that is a concern to me because I wanted to breed it. So I took another pictures.

The picture here are those in the group of 1,2,5,6. Can you see if it is 99% a Blood Mary for 7 and 8?

I took them separate , and then together.

Which one (7 or 8) do you think a better higher quality for Blood Mary?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200502_230153_1588475340670.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	897661  

Name:	20200502_230140_1588475379991.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	897663  

Name:	20200502_230210_1588475415135.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	897665  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode