Snails Dying Immediately After Entering Tank?? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rainer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Snails Dying Immediately After Entering Tank??

Hi guys!

I'm having a huge amount of trouble keeping snails and after searching and searching this and other forums, I'm still really stumped as to what's going wrong!

I've tried multiple nerite snails (one by one) and now also an apple snail, and even though they're lively in the bag coming home, once they go into my tank, they struggle and die almost immediately, only moving a very short distance from where they're dropped in, if at all, with long periods of just sitting, before they die within a day or two. The snails were acclimated by floating for an hour to equalize temperature and having the water in their bag nearly drained and replaced by small amounts of tank water (maybe 20%) every 10 mins for that acclimation hour. This last time I tried the snails, I was worried that past ones hadn't been able to find enough food, so I bought algae wafers and literally placed the snails face down on the wafers when they first went into the tank so that they could get food even if they weren't yet comfortable exploring, but the pattern repeated unchanged. When I first set the tank up, some small "pest" snails hitchhiked in on a plant and did amazingly well (laying eggs and multiplying like crazy for 1-2 months until they died off, presumably from eating all the algae). It was after this, when the algae started to come back, that I tried purchasing snails and have had such poor luck. The plants and fish (one betta) in the tank are doing just fine. The betta was interested in the snails, but I didn't specifically see him attacking them or harassing them too much (and could a betta even harm a grape-sized nerite or apple snail?)

Tank details are as follows:

10 gallon
Set up approx. 4 months ago
Dirted and planted (Miracle Gro Organic Potting Mix topped with gravel but have had the same issues with another tank with Fluval Stratum + gravel cap)
Temperature: 80F
Supplements/Chemicals: Seachem Prime and Flourish Comprehensive, sometimes Flourish Potassium as needed for hygro polysperma (all state on package that they're invert safe)
Lighting: 18" 6500K LED fixture, 850 lm and 70 PAR @ 12 in - 10 hour photo period w/ 2 hour break in the middle
Flora: Ludwigia repens, hygro polysperma, hygro difformis, bacopa caroliniana, Helanthium tenellum
Fauna: One betta fish

Test Results (kit expires 04/2023, so should be valid):
Ph: 6.7-6.8
Ammonia: 0 PPM
Nitrite: 0 PPM
Nitrate: 0 PPM

Any idea what could be happening? At this point, I don't feel comfortable buying another snail, as their untimely demises seem quite clearly linked to my tank, but I have relatively high lighting and will need algae control again soon, so I'm at a loss.

Any feedback is immensely appreciated - thanks in advance and for reading!

We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice.
- Mamoru Oshii
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-27-2020, 07:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Any chance you've ever treated your tanks with Fenbendazole or a product to get rid of planaria?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-27-2020, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
Any chance you've ever treated your tanks with Fenbendazole or a product to get rid of planaria?
Thanks for your reply! But no, no dewormers or any other medication or additive has ever been used in the tank other than the Prime and Flourish (and this tank was bought brand new before I set it up, so likely no chance of residue from anything in the past?)

We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice.
- Mamoru Oshii

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2020, 05:20 AM
Algae Grower

Does this happen in all your tanks or just that one? I can't keep snails or any inverts alive in my tap water because it sporadically leaches copper and heavy metals into it from the old pipes. If its tank specific have you added any new plants since the time the other snails did ok? I had a new plant once kill all my shrimp from what may have been pesticide residue. If you acclimated them correctly then all I can think of is something very invert toxic if they die that fast yet the fish are fine.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2020, 04:44 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
I've had snails go from living the life from the LFS and the bag to completely stopping dead in their tracks in the tank. I let them sit there for days and all of a sudden they disappear and reappear on the other side of the tank. I originally thought they were dead but they really weren't. Have you given them a few days to see if they move at all? From what I've read, they're known to not be active for a few days and then they come out of the wood works.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-29-2020, 02:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
One thing that strikes me is the acclimation process: don't drain the water they're already in before adding your own. Instead, add small amounts of yours to theirs over an hour or so, until the water is almost completely diluted to your tank values, to avoid a pH or KH shock. Drip acclimation is even better.
Zoidburg likes this.

Snail Glades,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
apple snail, nerite

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode