40g tank divider - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Quint

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
40g tank divider

I'm looking into dividing my 40 breeder into 3-4 different sections for shrimp. Does anyone have a good product or diy project that can make this happen for cheap and not allow baby shrimp to get across sections?

Thanks in advance 🙂

At least I can grow Algae
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2020, 04:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Well if you get some glass cut to size you can silicone it in and have basically 3 or 4 tanks. Is the tank empty or are you trying to divide a already setup tank?

Remember you will have to figure out a filter system, anything that allows much flow will probably also allow baby shrimps to migrate from one spot to another.
Zoidburg likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2020, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
Well if you get some glass cut to size you can silicone it in and have basically 3 or 4 tanks. Is the tank empty or are you trying to divide a already setup tank?

Remember you will have to figure out a filter system, anything that allows much flow will probably also allow baby shrimps to migrate from one spot to another.
I don't have a way to cut glass. The tank is currently cycling but it's not a problem to drain it. I have a billion small sponge filters that I was planning on putting 1 per section in.

What I'm really hoping for is a sponge like flip aquatics uses as their filters (matten filters) but instead of using it as a filter just use it to block off sections.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2020, 05:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Home Depot or Lowes can cut glass to size. Glass (or acrylic) is the best option to section off an aquarium if you want to keep separate colors of the same species or prevent hybridization. Shrimp are the least likely to crawl over this. You *CAN* use a sponge, but sponges can more easily be crawled over. If they get clogged, it can be a pain to clean them out unless you had a "double divider" at the bottom with spacing.

You could always look into using the corner matten filters with glass/acrylic dividers too. Going this route, I would recommend splitting the aquarium into even sections so the corner filters will be "together". Otherwise, you could use the regular matten filters in the back and have the flow going towards the front.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2020, 08:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@Zoidburg brings up a good point. I have found several shrimps of all sizes that crawled up the HOB outflow and found there way down under the sponges. About 99% positive they will atleast from time to time crawl over sponge material to get to the greener grass. To add to that babies can fit thru some pretty fine pore sponged. Your sponge filters are more then likely adequate to stop them but the matten filter sponge material may not be. I thought I had fine enough pre filter on my canister, started finding small to about 1/4" in there (were growing in canister filter). Had to change out the pre filter and now the shrimp population is growing again.

This is only really a big deal if your concerned about keeping blood lines true for each section. Shrimps are or can be some adventurers for sure.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2020, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
Home Depot or Lowes can cut glass to size. Glass (or acrylic) is the best option to section off an aquarium if you want to keep separate colors of the same species or prevent hybridization. Shrimp are the least likely to crawl over this. You *CAN* use a sponge, but sponges can more easily be crawled over. If they get clogged, it can be a pain to clean them out unless you had a "double divider" at the bottom with spacing.

You could always look into using the corner matten filters with glass/acrylic dividers too. Going this route, I would recommend splitting the aquarium into even sections so the corner filters will be "together". Otherwise, you could use the regular matten filters in the back and have the flow going towards the front.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
@Zoidburg brings up a good point. I have found several shrimps of all sizes that crawled up the HOB outflow and found there way down under the sponges. About 99% positive they will atleast from time to time crawl over sponge material to get to the greener grass. To add to that babies can fit thru some pretty fine pore sponged. Your sponge filters are more then likely adequate to stop them but the matten filter sponge material may not be. I thought I had fine enough pre filter on my canister, started finding small to about 1/4" in there (were growing in canister filter). Had to change out the pre filter and now the shrimp population is growing again.

This is only really a big deal if your concerned about keeping blood lines true for each section. Shrimps are or can be some adventurers for sure.
Let me try to explain my vision and why I believe the sponge dividers will work (if I can get my hands on some cheap ones). I would have the sponge tight against the glass on all sides including the bottom of the tank(I would have substrate as well so this should prevent shrimp from going under) the main problem area I believe would be the the shrimp going over the top of the divider but this can be prevented by cutting the sponge so it fits tightly all around and when I have the glass top shut it will essentially compress the sponge creating a seal the shrimp cannot go over.

My problem with having glass is 3 fold, my first problem being I think it is very ugly, second the sponge will provide much surface area for misc things to grow on that the shrimp can eat (as well as more surface area for bb) and my third problem being glass is very expensive as would getting the silicone

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 01:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sounds like it could work, have not tried it like that before.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode