Crystal black shrimp and no breeding luck - The Planted Tank Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Crystal black shrimp and no breeding luck

I've once more dove down into crystal blacks, cherries and trio of panda shrimp.
What I am having issues with is varying and breeding, I did start off a few months ago with two berried female and couple males but sad circumstances caused a mass death of my tank. But I never been successful to breed or berry other then my amano shrimp. So figured send some feelers out and ask for help.
Currently I have a mixture of juvenile cherry, crystal black and pandas located in a 20 gallon planted tank/which I will be getting more plants soon after my java fern died off I think they dried out to much while I was transplanting/ but still rather full with plants and some small chunks of java moss that is slowly growing. Still removing dead java fern as I go and other plant leaves that aren't looking great.
Inhabitants of the tank,
7 4-5 year old amano shrimp, 3 females and 4 Males
13 or so cherry shrimp mixed age
34 crystal black mix age
3 panda shrimp mix age I do believe
And a single mystery snail named Jerry whom is starting to get to the end of his life with how slow he is starting to get.
Tank permaiters I never had issues with and have checked multiple times after shrimp deaths. Nitrates are perfect so is everything else enough that what babies I received with my cherry shrimp have been growing well and 4 of the crystal black so no loses there.
I have two filters going for bit more oxygen; over the back filter and a fluval submersion filter set on low flow. Both covered with sponge to prevent death of any fry.
Fed a mixture of algea pellets and a jello mixture of orangic squash, algea pellets, few tums for calcium for the snail, kale, zucchini, cucumber, carrot and small amount of jello to hold it together. A big hit compared to the shrimp food I purchased with my newest shrimp nearly a week ago and clean out the dish of jello.
I have almond leaves and one currently sitting in the tank and the bark/tree thing I cannot remember for tannin I believe. Light is on 10 hours or so /LED/ with natural daylight from the side since everywhere in the house has sunlight.
Tank heat is almost always at 25 due to having reptiles in the household so we keep the house between 20-23 degrees.
I have tried the change 10% of the water weekly and still do due to the food mixture I feed and filters get light cleaning weekly to bi weekly depending on the water flow OHB filter at least.
I'm not to sure what I am doing wrong but figured ask for any suggestions towards on this, as I do love them and hope for a decent boom if any.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 03:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Welcome to TPT!

How long has tank been set up?
What is your GH, KH? Do you know your TDS?
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This tank per say has been up for nearly two years almost three.
I am honestly not to sure

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I will be getting plant fertilizer later this week to solve some issues I'm now having with my older plants and bit of leaf rot going on but they are almost 5 years old themself.
I do have calcium in both the jello food and cuttlefish bones that I have in the tank due to having a mystery snail and finicky shells if there is to little.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Photo reference of my fish tank, as some of the residents though not the clearest photos currently.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200421_090850_1587485460279.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	3.53 MB
ID:	896915  

Name:	20200421_090916_1587485490720.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	896917  

Name:	20200421_090927_1587485503357.jpg
Size:	2.20 MB
ID:	896919  

Name:	20200421_090937_1587485516417.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	2.05 MB
ID:	896921  

Name:	20200421_090944_1587485527445.jpg
Size:	2.30 MB
ID:	896923  

post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

But I do know that the KH and GH is probably a bit low with the mystery snail shell starting the crackle and break now. So it's probably time to add more cuttle bone.

And when I do water change i dont treat the water to much or heavily due to the fact we actually due to location; isnt heavily treated by chemicals. Decent amount of calcium in the water from what build ups we get in matter of weeks steady.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 04:33 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
You want your KH at or near 0 dKH for crystals, I would not do anything to raise that value. Pick up an API KH/GH test kit, it's a crucial parameter to test for this species. Also might be prudent to go light on the fertilizers.
Zoidburg and Discusluv like this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

For sure light on the fertilizers but I may not get any if what I'm suspecting that my large leafed aquarium plants are actually reacting the end of their life so I just ultimately replace them all today or tomorrow.
Okay if it's those then they usually are relatively in good places but I'll see if i can pick up a testing kit locally as nobody is shipping otherwise.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 05:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

The crystal/panda shrimp do best with low pH, low temp, low(er) GH and low to zero KH.

If you are using tap water, number one issue.

If you are using sand, number two issue.

Temp is #3 issue. Ideally, temp should be 18 to 22 max in temp

Your best chance of success would be to set up a separate tank for your crystal/panda shrimp with a *good* buffering substrate (skip Fluval) that lowers the pH of the water, with RO or distilled and GH minerals for shrimp.

Do you know what parameters the shrimp were raised in?
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes the substrate is sand due to a pest snail infestation a while ago which was just infested in the gravel and such that I had which once switched to sand killed off everything thank God after three years. I still have to bake my batch of gravel out in the sun in next hottest day to kill off anything else. I also never had a good experience with any other thing such as fluval dirt as it no matter what I did never settled and just a massive mess / let alone how expensive it is to get it in this town in any other petshop or online due to where I live/ but I should have other gravel to use. I have also shared photos of my tank and seemingly got a okay from the shrimpery I got them from for the sand and such but with my luck Haha.

Tap water is all I have used ever used and have had berries shrimp given and thrive so well as babies due to again the expense of the distilled water is insane per gallon. Joy of semi little town.

I'm not to sure how to cool off the tank then to lower the temperature, suggestions would be great.

I do not know what they were raised in

I also only have that tank that hasn't housed reptiles in it without doing a bleaching session to clean it all.
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 06:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Having an open topped tank with a fan blowing over it helps to cool it - you just need to be prepared to top it off more often due to evaporation.
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well that'll be interesting thing to do to cool off the tank, due to having cats.
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

But today I am going to pick up the tester kit, couple new plants to replace the ones that are starting the dying process in the least.
I will send a new message with parameters when I do get it.
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Alright so I just finished the testing, photo of the nitrates included which is where they have always sat. Both kh/gh took 6 drops/ 120mg/l and 60 /
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200421_162223_1587511778977.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	3.36 MB
ID:	896975  

post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 11:34 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
6 dKH is awfully high for crystals. You might keep them alive there, but I'd be surprised if they lived long or bred.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode