adding snails to a carpeted shrimp tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-18-2020, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
adding snails to a carpeted shrimp tank

I would like to add some type of snail to my shrimp tank. Ive done a good amount of research on my own but i think it would be useful tog get some opinions of people who have seen the tank.
I attached a picture of my shrimp tank, it is heavily carpeted with hygrophilia polysperma, i know they grow quite tall but I will either cut them down or let them create a jungle in the future. I need some type of snail that wont uproot the delicate plants, i dont feed much so overpopulation should not be too big of a problem. Thank you for your opinions
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200418_185209.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	396.6 KB
ID:	896819  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 10:08 PM
Algae Grower

Nerites are my favorite, they make a good cleaning crew too. They do leave eggs on everything though, just an fyi.

Buce Fiend - Small Tank Keeper
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-25-2020, 07:25 PM
Algae Grower

I would go with baby mysterys, then move them when they get too big for your comfort. Or regular bladder snails. Nerites and ramshorns produce a lot of eggs but could work. Ramshorn with caution because some might eat plants. MTS with low feeding can still produce high numbers, and large adults could uproot small plants theoretically. Rabbit snails would definitely not work they eat plants quicker than any snail I've seen, even my giant apples. Assassin snails would be fine, they stay smaller than MTS, but are purely carnivorous, so would need sinking carnivore pellets. There are more options I cant think of though, but most would probably be burying species like MTS, rabbits, and assassins.

Tags
carpet, shrimp, snails, snails and shrimp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode