Deteriorating Rabbit Snail Shells? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Deteriorating Rabbit Snail Shells?

Hey all. I feel like the adult golden rabbit snails I have are slowly losing their shells. It started off with Gary and Gray and then later Carrot, the third snail. I've got them in a tank with sand substrate and a giant ryuoh stone in the middle so hopefully hardness is not an issue. Water parameters are good and I give them calcium supplements twice a week. Are there ways I can save their shells? Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200409_130321.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	896537  

Name:	20200409_130335.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	896539  

Name:	received_269743967375629.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	896541  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 11:05 AM
Algae Grower

What do they eat? the tank looks far too clean for there to be algae for them and only the stone and glass to grow it on. Add a little plant fertiliser to encourage algae to grow. Put some weighted blanched lettuce or courgette in the tank for them to eat.

Snails just like us need a varied diet including fresh stuff. Ramshorns do fine in my soft acid black water tanks. The big ones just get bleached shells but they get to be really big. They breed just fine as well. The tank has lots of plants and bogwood for algae to grow on. There's an ancistrus cat but she eats different stuff. She won't clean the plants for eg.

I supplement the catfish's diet though. I expect the snails find the odd piece of food the loaches and catfish have missed as well. I don't overfeed but I don't see fungused food either.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I feed them mainly mini algae wafers recommended by the LFS. Theres some algae on the rock but they don't seem to like climbing it very much. I used to have driftwood for them. There are some algae growing on the glass as well. How much algae growth would be too much algae?

I occasionally feed them snail food from some recommendation I saw for AHquatics (which apparently seems to no longer exist) and I feed them the calcium chips twice a week. This week however, I fed them two bits of lettuce and they started giving birth to more baby snails. Maybe they needed the fresh vegetables for giving birth?

How often do you recommend feeding them?

Wafers
https://www.amazon.com/Hikari-Usa-AH...6966086&sr=8-3

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 04:05 PM
Algae Grower

Crushed coral or some other calcium based element. They need calcium for their shells.

The harbinger of doom to the wicked but the fragrance of life for the hopeless. Napalm
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 04:09 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Have you tested GH/KH at all?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 04:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

Just curious are you running co2? What is your PH?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 01:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Do you have hardness tests for KH and GH? What is PH of tank? What are all those readings on your water change source?

Are you adding anything for Mg and Potassium as well as all the other trace elements that need to be in water.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2020, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

pH: At least 7.6, looks a tad darker
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
GH: 6 drops
KH: 5 drops

I'm not sure how to read the results for GH/KH. It's the API drop kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishguy1978 View Post
Crushed coral or some other calcium based element. They need calcium for their shells.
I used to have crushed coral in the sump but got rid of it after I redid the tank. It didn't seem to help. I'll try adding it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Do you have hardness tests for KH and GH? What is PH of tank? What are all those readings on your water change source?

Are you adding anything for Mg and Potassium as well as all the other trace elements that need to be in water.
No ferts added to the tank. Is there something I should be adding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
Just curious are you running co2? What is your PH?
No CO2. I do have Flourish Excel I could add if needed?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2020, 09:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC415 View Post
pH: At least 7.6, looks a tad darker
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
GH: 6 drops
KH: 5 drops

I'm not sure how to read the results for GH/KH. It's the API drop kit

I used to have crushed coral in the sump but got rid of it after I redid the tank. It didn't seem to help. I'll try adding it back.

No ferts added to the tank. Is there something I should be adding?

No CO2. I do have Flourish Excel I could add if needed?
API kits 1drop = 1 degree of German hardness. So KH of 5, GH of 6. Multiply that x17.9 will give you ppm.

—————-

Not ferts exactly but studies of mollusk shells have shown that there are a great many elements needed, either as components of shell itself or used as a support element in the process of building the shell. Chemical studies of shells show many other elements in structure of shells, besides Ca, Mg and K, there are stuff like Zn, Cu, Mn as well as surprisingly even minute traces lead and mercury, both elements that we as aquarium keepers avoid like the plague. Zn and Cu levels especially are suspected as a major factor in shell formation and retention.

Thing about our closed loop ecosystem we keep is that in nature all those minute levels of odd trace elements are leached into aquatic ecosystem by millions of hectares of soil and minerals along banks as well as everytime it rains that low dissolved solid water flows over decomposing leaves and minerals and that is flushed into the water replenishing those traces.

I’m using azomite as a trace supplement, I drop 6 pellets of granular azomite in a gallon of distilled water, add .5ml thrive fert , then I use that water in my 7gal tank to keep it topped off for evaporation throughout the week. Will say my pink ramshorn snails shells are the most dense and luxurious I have ever seen them. Plants are also extra healthy.

Add 12 pellets of azomite to a gal of distilled and it will raise TDS 1 point after 24hrs. At that level in the 7gal I got a slight hair algae surge so figured half that amount might be about right.

Here’s the little bag of azomite I bought to try, in my 7gal this $7 bag should last me at least a half a decade. You can find chemical analysis of it on line. Have no idea how much Dysprosium my tank needs or if it even needs it. It does seem to be a good source of Zn @ 64ppm. Not much if any biological process happens without that crucial element. It’s a natural volcanic sediment layer mined in Utah.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I tried reading as many scientific papers I could find on mollusks and invert shell formation but it was so deep into biology and specifics of cell formation that all I got was a headache. You would have to devote your life studies to it to even come close to understanding it. Basic point is that if you think that all you need to add for proper shell development and retention is Ca your wrong, it takes a cocktail of elements in proper ratios for that to happen.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2020, 07:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
You don't need to worry about excel - I believe the question about CO2 is that snail shells often erode in tanks with pressurized CO2 added (due to the increased acidity of the water, I imagine?)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode